It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we generate PDF/A document in RPE

Don Max (241734) | asked Apr 22 '19, 4:38 a.m.

Hello,

Is it possible to generate/convert documents published using RPE ( word/pdf) to PDF/A format. RPE version 6.0.6

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Apr 22 '19, 4:42 a.m.
Currently, you cannot generate PDF/A output with RPE. You can expect RPE to support this in future release.

However, you should be able to use a Word macro to save output as PDF/A. Here is the macro that saves the .doc file (RPE Word output) as PDF/A file.

Sub Silent_save_to_PDFA()
   ActiveDocument.ExportAsFixedFormat OutputFileName:= _
       Replace(ActiveDocument.FullName, ".doc", ".pdf") , _
       ExportFormat:=wdExportFormatPDF, OpenAfterExport:=False, OptimizeFor:= _
       wdExportOptimizeForPrint, Range:=wdExportAllDocument, Item:= _
       wdExportDocumentContent, IncludeDocProps:=False, KeepIRM:=True, _
       CreateBookmarks:=wdExportCreateNoBookmarks, DocStructureTags:=True, _
       BitmapMissingFonts:=True, UseISO19005_1:=True
End Sub

Comments
Don Max commented Apr 22 '19, 7:19 a.m.

Hi Prasad,

I have saved the macro as .vbs file in RPE_HOME/utils/word folder and provided the macro name while generating the report ( publishing modules from IBM RDNG ) how ever the getting  "CRRPE1064I Error running macro. Error: -2147352573 - Can't run the specified macro"  error.  Let me know if this is the correct way run the macro?

Thanks 

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Apr 22 '19, 10:07 a.m.

You should enable command execution by setting the com.ibm.rational.rpe.enable_commands property to true in %rpe_home%\studio\rpe-studio.ini and %rpe_home%\launcher\rpe-launcher.ini.

Also note that docx is a macro free document and hence you need to save the Word output as .doc or .docm.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/office-open-xml-i-exploring-the-office-open-xml-formats-RZ010243529.aspx?section=4

For your reference, I am attaching a zip containing 3 files - sample RPE template, Word stylesheet containing macro and document specification file. Save, unzip and run document generation by opening the .dsx. You will find PDF/A output.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.