It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Issue in linking workitems with "Tracks" Link type while importing from .csv file

Hareesh Jairaj (832138) | asked Mar 19 '19, 11:05 a.m.
retagged Mar 22 '19, 9:44 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hello all,

I am trying to bulk update the workitems and link the workitem with another with Link Type "Tracks". I have tried the below procedure to link the workitems. 

Example :
ID         Name                      Priority      Parent 
1234     Workitem Name       Low          #2663    

It works for Parent , Child Link types but not for "Tracks" in CLM 606. Can some one suggest me how i achieve this.Help on this is appreciated. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 19 '19, 11:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
  1. Can you manually create tracks link types? You need to configure a provider relationship to be able to use tracks links between project areas. This could be an issue.
  2. Tracks links are a different kind of links, not work item links. It might not be supported. I don't know. Your example does not show an export with tracks links. Create an export first to understand how that would look like.

Hareesh Jairaj commented Mar 20 '19, 12:09 p.m.

1) I am able to use Tracks link type and able to link another workitem.

2) I have exported the workitem with tracks link type and format looks as below .When I use the same format to import it didn't take

I'd.    Name   priority   Tracks
11      Story   Low      12 : Task1

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 21 '19, 3:22 a.m.

If you are using the RTC Built In import, try to add a # in front of the work item number for work items that exist. I don't know if that is a limitation of the built in export/import.

I think that WCL can recreate tracks links.  Note that it also has two different modes for export/import. One is using formats that mimic the RTC Export/import format. One uses its own format. The latter does not require the # in front of work item ID, if I remember correctly.

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Mar 22 '19, 9:43 a.m.

From the Exporting work items help topic:

"The following data is not preserved when you use the Export Work Items wizard to export item data to a CSV file:
  • Work item history
  • Approval history
  • Attachments
  • All Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration (OSLC) Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) reference links. For example, Contributes To, Tracks, Affects Plan Item, Affected By Defect, Related Change Request, Tracks Requirement. As a result, while you can use the Import Work Items wizard to import work items in CSV files that include URI reference links, the import operation does not automatically create the backlinks in the referenced items.
In contrast, standard reference links, such as Parent, Children, Duplicated By, and Depends On, are preserved when you export data to a CSV file."

Ken

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 22 '19, 9:49 a.m.

Thanks Ken.  

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 22 '19, 9:51 a.m.

I assume that build result and change set links are also not preserved. They are not OSLC links, but also not work item links. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.