It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can you use a single or clustered Jazz Auth Server for multiple CLM environments (i.e. dev, test, prod)?

Michael Razavi (1516) | asked Feb 19 '19, 2:05 p.m.

Does IBM support using a single or clustered Jazz Auth Server to provide authentication to multiple CLM environments such as a dev, test and prod environment?  Or is it recommended to use one JAS URL per environment?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Shubjit Naik (1.5k1613) | answered Feb 22 '19, 9:58 a.m.

Hi Michael

Yes, you can deploy one or a clustered Jazz Authorization Server for multiple CLM environments.

If the data on Dev and test would be a replica of Production where you would constantly be replicating the data from production to Test and Dev and doing a server rename, then deploying a separate JAS server would be a better option.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Razavi commented Feb 22 '19, 12:32 p.m. | edited Feb 22 '19, 1:00 p.m.
Why does the rename impact JAS if the test/staging env public URLs are already in the JAS db?   

Thanks! 

Shubjit Naik commented Feb 24 '19, 11:32 p.m. | edited Feb 24 '19, 11:32 p.m.

Hi Michael

If there is a server rename done, the new renamed Urls are to be registered in JAS. If you are duplicating Production data to Test only then the Server rename would come into picture. Meaning, if your Production, Test and Dev are all starting from scratch with its own data, you can go ahead and use one JAS with all these servers.

Michael Razavi commented Feb 25 '19, 9:23 p.m.

Shubjit,

Thanks again for your quick response.  I dont think my question was clear enough.  What if I initially created a test and prod environment from scratch using test.clm.com and prod.clm.com all using the same JAS so the JAS db had test and prod public URIs already in it.  Then lets say a few months later I decided to do a CLM only server rename to overwrite the test db with prod data.  Would this scenario still require me to stand up a second JAS even though test.clm.com is already in the JAS db?  If so I'm not really following why. Sorry I promise this is the last follow up.:)  

Thanks so much for your time!

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 26 '19, 3:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please consider to give the forum members that help you credits by accepting the correct answer, next time around.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 26 '19, 3:57 a.m. | edited Feb 26 '19, 3:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your last question, I think the statement in the documentation is that you want to make sure to isolate the cloned and renamed test system from the production environments. You want to make totally sure they can not get connect or get confused and you can not accidentally create links between artifacts or delete artifacts in the wrong place etc. So you want to have everything separated, including JAS. 

Michael Razavi commented Feb 26 '19, 8:34 a.m.

Ralph,

My apologies for not marking the answer as correct. I was just trying to get a better feel for the response being a hard no you cant do this or just a best practice/recommendation.  
Thanks,
Mike 

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.