It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to provide external stylesheet parameter value in document specification file in RPE?

Anjuri Kelaiya (3726) | asked Dec 11 '18, 1:55 a.m.

I am using RPE v2.0.1.  I am using external stylesheet common for all documents which I am applying everytime while generating report. There is an entry in stylesheet named XYZ,  and I want to implement XYZ in document specification(dsx file).

Is there a way to make XYZ as an external variable in stylesheet so that I can provide value for XYZ while generating report?

2 answers

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Dec 11 '18, 2:45 a.m.

No, you cannot refer RPE variables in "Stylesheet" property of the output.

Comments
Anjuri Kelaiya commented Dec 11 '18, 3:19 a.m.

Thanks for your response Subramanya.

Does it mean stylesheet which we apply in RPE is fixed. we can not change stylesheet values in document specification by any way?

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Dec 11 '18, 3:28 a.m.
It is not. When you generate document, you can edit the Stylesheet as in the following screen grab.

But you should provide the file name (along with full path or relative path) - ss1.doc in this example. You CANNOT set it to a variable XYZ (that holds value "ss1.doc").

Anjuri Kelaiya commented Dec 11 '18, 7:22 a.m.

I will rephrase the question.

For example, I have one entry in stylesheet(.dot file) named DocumentNumber. I want to edit DocumentNumber in such a way that it will pop up as an external variable while generating the output. I want to provide DocumentNumber value by User interface every time I generate the report.

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Dec 11 '18, 11:51 a.m.

Can you tell what "DocumentNumber" will be used for? Based on its purpose, I can suggest other options available.

Anjuri Kelaiya commented Dec 12 '18, 1:23 a.m.

DocumentNumber is a field in a stylesheet to provide the proper document number as per client specification(for eg TAS3469).  right now that field is filled manually after every document generation. so our requirement is to provide this value from the user interface while generating document(in document specification file).

This DocumentNumber field is in the stylesheet so I am not able to find any way to make it as an external variable and provide it's value while generating output.

Could you please suggest any thing so that I can make this stylesheet field to work as an external variable?

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Dec 12 '18, 1:53 a.m.
In that case, you can try using "Field" element in RPE template. This will insert the field in Word output.
You can set "Field code" property similar to Field code that you use in Word (without quotes). You can use RPE variable in "Field code" property so that the field is filled with value given by user during document generation.

Comments
Anjuri Kelaiya commented Dec 12 '18, 8:51 a.m.
 Thank you for the suggestion. I followed the steps but it didn't worked.

Let me rephrase my exact requirement again:

I have a word stylesheet (.dot file) which has few fields like documentNumber and revisionnumber. This stylesheet will be used to genrate 
 a document through RPE template file(.dta).I want to populate some value against the fields (documentNumber and revisionnumber), i have created 
 an external variable by using filed code as mentioned above but the values are not getting reflected in the generated document.

Sample output : 

documentNumber > RP_1234
 RevisionNumber > REV_1

Please let me know if i am missing something or doing something wrong.

Thanks in Advance!! 

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Dec 12 '18, 11:18 a.m.
Can you share the stylesheet you are using? I will provide you a sample template that inserts same fields like your stylesheet does.

Anjuri Kelaiya commented Dec 13 '18, 6:07 a.m.

I have created fields in RPE template and mapped those with stylesheet fields.

It's working now.

Thank you so much for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.