It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG - Concatenation of hierarchical requirement statements

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Oct 12 '18, 11:34 a.m.
In many requirements documents there is a sequential set of requirements such as

3.1 Unauthorised vehicles shall
3.1.1 be prevented from accessing
3.1.1.1 Footpaths
3.1.1.2 Works facilities

When imported to DNG they can be arranged hierarchically in the module

Traceability links to 3.1.1.1 only shows the word 'footpaths'

Are there any tricks in DNG or JRS for concatenating these statements when they are reported in traceability reports ?

In DOORS Classic this was quite easy using DXL

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Oct 12 '18, 10:56 p.m.
Hi Sean,

What I have done with my clients is to create Parent/Child links between base artefacts, then you can display them in the various views and in reports etc. I did this pretty easily by exporting the Module, and then renaming the parentBinding column to something like RefID, and importing just that column back into DNG. Then I used Link By Attribute to create Child Of links using the imported RefID column.

The only thing with this approach is that parentBinding will also contain values pointing to Information and Heading artefacts. In my case, I strictly wanted requirement parent/child only, so the easiest way I found to correct this was to filter the view so I only had Heading and Information, then use Link By attribute and an empty field to delete all Parent Of links that were not present in the empty field (i.e. all of them!).
Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean F commented Oct 13 '18, 12:56 a.m.
Thanks for the suggestion Davyd.

If the parentBinding information were exposed by JRS query language (or perhaps the RPE schema) that would be ideal.

Davyd Norris commented Oct 13 '18, 1:31 a.m.
Both section and parentBinding are module local calculated elements, and will change depending on the arrangement of the requirements in the Module.

This means it would never be an attribute of the base artefact in the JRS, you could only ever see it within a Module context.

Sean F commented Oct 15 '18, 11:28 a.m.
Yes that is true.
If DNG allowed a way for base artifacts to report information about their module context in the case that they only appear in one module (which is true 99% of the time) it would be useful.
Is there any way to run Link By Attribute on more than 25 base artifacts at a time?
When they are in a module you can run LBR on all the artifacts but that creates module context links.

Davyd Norris commented Oct 15 '18, 9:09 p.m.
You can get information about module content - if you use the "Collection or Module" filter in Report Builder then any links you display will be module local.

In terms of doing the actual link, from the Folders view you can increase the number of artefacts displayed to 200, and then do 200 Link By Attribute at a time. Still not a huge number but doesn't take long.

Additionally, you can export the requirements and then use the {LINK id=...} format in a spreadsheet column to do the actual links on import. Requires some spreadsheet jockeying but pretty easily done with a CONCAT function

2 other answers

permanent link
Softacus AG (2013) | answered Oct 12 '18, 1:50 p.m.

Hi Sean,

Maybe adding system Attribut 'Section' in Front of the module text would solve your issue? 

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Oct 12 '18, 9:47 p.m.
^Thanks.

The problem is that when doing traceability reports using DNG Views from linked artifacts the traceability view only shows the artifact at the  other end of the link.

Here is the object hierarchy for 4 objects:-

Unauthorised vehicles shall
  be prevented from accessing
    Footpaths   <----------
    Works facilities <----------

The published traceability report from the other module does not make any sense without the context.

Users can follow the link to get context while working in DOORS but published reports lose the context.

I was hoping there might be a way with JRS scripting to get the concatenated requirements statement.

Maybe even RPE would allow some kind of traversal up the object hierarchy at the other end of the link.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.