It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Plans: How does ranking in a filtered view affect rank of excluded items?

Jürgen Brückler (69222) | asked Oct 08 '18, 10:47 a.m.

Our use case:
A team consisting of several key account managers does have a common backlog.
Each key account manager ranks his items (e.g. by filtering against a certain filedAgainst-Category) on his own.
Then they sit together and agree on a team backlog ranking (over all filedAgainst-Categories of this team):
E.g. Story1 for Customer A has rank 1, Story2 for Customer B has rank 2, Story3 for Customer A has rank 3.

If the key account manager for Customer A changes the rank of his stories in his filtered view (Story3 before Story1), the teams backlog will show Story3 with rank 1, Story1 with rank 2 and Story2 with rank 3. So now both stories for Customer A are (unintendedly) ranked higher than those of Customer B.

Same behaviour when we try to use subteams for each customer: The ranking in the parent teams backlog when changing ranks in the subteam is affected in a way we cannot understand yet.

At the moment we dare to change ranks in the unfiltered view (no excluded items) or in the parent teams plan only.

I could not find a detailed explanation how ranking works in filtered views (with excluded items) or in parent/subteams yet. Can anyone give me more insight into this behaviour so that I can understand it?

Thank you!
Juergen

PS: I know the excellent Ranking-Article, but my question seems to go beyond what is being explained there.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 11 '18, 6:03 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 11 '18, 6:03 a.m.

I've added a comment to the Ranking article.   It says:

The rank ordering is global across all work items in the repository. So if you modify the rank of a work item, you will have modified the relative rank of that work in all plans. The actual integer value that you see will be relative to the particular plan ... so the relative ordering of ranked work items will be the same in all plans, but the actual integer rank value displayed can be different in each plan.

So for your particular example, when you changed the rank of Story3 to be higher than Story1, it will be higher ranked in all plans, so Story3 is now higher ranked than Story2, because Story3 is higher ranked than Story1, and Story1 is higher ranked than Story2.

Jürgen Brückler selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jürgen Brückler commented Oct 11 '18, 6:11 a.m.

That makes sense. Thank you for this explanation, Geoffrey! 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.