It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does Base Artifacts folder work with existing Projects when upgrading from 6.0.3 to 6.0.6

Carol Watson (710118) | asked Aug 27 '18, 1:21 p.m.

In release  6.0.6, is the Base Artifacts folder (with the module specific base artifacts folders as sub-folders) automatically created?

If yes, how does that work upon upgrading when you have existing Project folders containing base artifacts?  Is the Base Artifacts folder created with the next new Module, or is it only created on new Projects after the upgrade?

Our current structure in 6.0.3 is to create Module folders for the various types of Modules applicable to the Project, with the base artifacts for those modules shown in sub-folders.

Requirements Modules
    Module A Base Artifacts
    Module B Base Artifacts

Thanks,
Carol

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k251161) | answered Aug 27 '18, 2:12 p.m.

I think it only affects newly created modules.

Existing modules will still have their artifacts folder in the same folder as the module (or wherever the folder was before the upgrade).

I was playing with module base artifacts folders in 605 and it seems that you can move them around manually and they still work.

I manually moved a module's base artifacts folder and then created some more artifacts in the module and the base artifacts appeared in the relocated folder.

So if you do want to make your database consistent after switching to a default location for module content folders then you should be able to move existing content folders to the new location manually.

Carol Watson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Carol Watson commented Aug 27 '18, 2:39 p.m.

Thanks Sean, I was hoping that would be the case.  I hadn't thought about moving all of the Base Artifact sub-folders, that's not a bad idea as it would provide consistency across projects. And as you said, it's easy to move them, so wouldn't involve much effort.

Thank you!
Carol

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.