It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Display Attachments and Related Artifacts twice in work item with separate content

Ilona Krammer (159549) | asked Aug 14 '18, 6:37 a.m.
I need a few things in my custom work items that people can either upload or add links to the item.

Unfortunately there is no way to control the order of the linked items and I have not tried, but I assume there is no way to order attachments either. So an actual overview is basically not possible.

What I would like to do is to create an item with three different displays of attached files and related artifact sections.
But obviously if I add a file or a link to one of those sections, the item/link must not appear in the other ones.

Is there any way that I can achieve that? I don't mind creating new linktypes or things like that, but I wouldn't have a clue about how to do that (I am able to create new linktypes to work items, but how do you create links with just the label and the URL information?
And then again, how would it be possible to add links to attachments?

Does anyone have any clue for me on how this could be solved?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Aug 14 '18, 6:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ilona,

I don't think that you will be able to do that, at least not easily. You could create new editor presentations that could filter on the attachments/links. This is likely very expensive to do and to maintain.

New Link types are only available between work items (maybe URL references). https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/creating-custom-link-types-for-rational-team-concert/ explains how. There are several drawbacks with this approach e.g. the links don't show up in reports.

You can not link to attachments. An uploaded attachment can be referenced by multiple work items.

Maybe there are ways to get what you want, but I am not optimistic. I am not very clear on why you want to do that and what the business base really is.

Ilona Krammer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ilona Krammer commented Aug 14 '18, 7:28 a.m.
Do you have any resources/information on how the filtering would be possible?

Thank you for reminding me of that link! I completely forgot (and had so many other worries at the time I was reading that) that there is information on other itemReferenceTypes! So I'll try that for the Related Artifacts link which would solve at least half of my problems

The idea behind it is to get some custom information into RTC to be able to use RTC as the central point of information. And since RTC links aren't exactly sortable and attachments can get difficult to search through as well, we need a way to make the information easy to read and to understand

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 14 '18, 7:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ilona,

you would literally have to create your own editor presentation. Here is one example: https://github.com/jazz-community/rtc-statushistory-presentation

Your code would decide what to display how. This can be done, but it is not really easy to do it. It is actually quite hard.

I am wondering if it would be easier to use a Web Application to display the information you refer to and have a link back and forth between the work item. Just a thought.

Ilona Krammer commented Aug 17 '18, 2:16 a.m.
What I ended up doing was to use the attachment links (which are easily copied from the history tab) to add that to the custom URL linktype. Not sure yet what the users are going to say to that solution, but it works like that.

I am going to look at the custom editor presentation though too.

Thank you very much for your help!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.