It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG Workflow - Why should 'states' by assigned to 'groups'?

Sean F (1.3k249160) | asked Mar 31 '18, 11:41 a.m.

When creating a workflow in DNG you create states like New, In Progress, Complete etc.. Each state can optionally be put in a group which have simlar names new, In Progress, Complete etc.
What is the significance of putting the state in a group?

The documenation only says:-

Optional: Select a group that is appropriate for the state. For example, the open group would be appropriate for the Submitted state. If none of the available state groups are appropriate, you can use the Eclipse client to modify an existing state group or to add a state group in the State Groups section of the Workflows page.

Note: For work items in a state group that is mapped to the Closed category, summary information displays with strikethrough formatting in plans and on the Links tab of related work items.

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.workitem.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_defining_state_transitions_web.html

I created a workflow with 3 states and i did not put any of the states in groups and the workflow works fine when I put it on an artifact type and then instantiate the artifact.
So what I am I losing by not putting each state in a group?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Apr 05 '18, 5:32 a.m.

I believe the state groups don't have any significance in DNG. If I'm not mistaken, the workflow is "borrowed" from RTC. In RTC, state groups affect planning and reporting. The documentation that you quoted is "borrowed" from RTC as well, because there is no "Eclipse client" or "work item" in DNG.

Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean F commented Apr 06 '18, 11:24 a.m.

Thanks Donald

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.