It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get tasks linked to a story to show up in a specific order in a work item template?

Kim Williams (56136) | asked Mar 08 '18, 10:49 a.m.

Using RTC 6.0.4, on Windows.
I created a user story with tasks linked to it.  I want the tasks to be in a specific order, so I was very careful when creating the work item template such that the tasks linked to the story would be in a certain order.  When I use the template, it creates the first task first, but all other tasks  are created in reverse order.  For example, if I have task 1,  task 2, task 3, and task 4, then the User story created by the template has the task linked in this order:
Task 1
Task 4
Task 3
Task 2

Short of editing the XML for the work item template,  is there a way to ensure that a work item template create work items in a specific order?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ian Wark (79713553) | answered Mar 14 '18, 3:43 a.m.

No. I think it is generally accepted that the only way to ensure a work item template creates work items in a specific order is by actually editing the template and ordering yourself.

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/126603/work-item-template-generating-tasks-in-reverse-order

Kim Williams selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 14 '18, 3:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It is also worth mentioning that the order of the links might not be something that the tool cares about. E.g. the UI displays the link in an order that is sorted by other criteria as the order of creation.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.