It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Artifact Links are Module Specific? Help

David Reilly (69340) | asked Jan 11 '18, 3:52 p.m.

Hello all -

Like a leper, I come groveling back, shameless and afraid, needing your help.

My question is as follows: 
Can anyone point me to the product documentation for DOORS Next Generation for linking, and where, specifically, it states that links created within a module will only be visible while in that module. 

Is there any recommended way for us to maintain traceability if the links created are not applied to the artifact themselves? How do we use this to our advantage? Is there any way we can apply those module-artifact links to the artifacts without having to commit seppuku?

One answer

permanent link
Diane Everitt (27835) | answered Jan 11 '18, 4:53 p.m.
edited Jan 11 '18, 4:55 p.m.

Hello David,

Please refer to Reusing artifacts in modules in the product documentation.

HTH

Kind regards,
Diane

Comments
David Reilly commented Jan 12 '18, 9:47 a.m.

Thanks Diane. This knowledge article suggests that base artifacts are different from module artifacts.

If I may ask a follow up: 
Is there any way to transfer links that were made on the artifact within the module to the base artifact? 

Kathryn Fryer commented Jan 30 '18, 1:59 p.m.

Base vs module artifacts has confused many users. The module artifact is a base artifact with a "binding" to that particular module context. If you link to the "module artifact", following the link always opens it in the context of that module. The base artifact could be reused in more than one module.

You can't "transfer" the links, but you can create links directly to the base artifact, and surface those 'base' links in the module artifact.  In 605, the base artifact properties are automatically shown in the module context; in earlier releases there was an option to show them.

David Reilly commented Jan 30 '18, 3:06 p.m.

Thanks for the additional details Kathryn. Do you know if later versions of DNG allow you to specify that you want to link to the "base" artifact when creating the link? 

We are, at the moment, a little perplexed. We've reused the artifacts and it ended up making matters worse, as there are now 2(!) links for each artifact because of these context specific rules. Clean up is most definitely going to be necessary.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.