It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restricting Access and Visibility

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Jan 10 '18, 3:24 p.m.

CLM 603-605

We have a project team that tracks their internal work in one RTC project. They also have a different project that they work with an external department for "requests". At times they pull requests over into their own project, which loses visibility from the customer.

Our IT dept wants us to use a similar setup for our internal work and external department requests. Isn't there an easier way to do this with "Restrict Category Visibility", "Restrict Work Item Access" and Roles? If I create a work item type called Support Request and a Team called External:

1 - With "Roles", users can see everything, but only I can limit Save Work Item to Support Requests for the Team External.
2 - With "Restrict Category Visibility" I can make sure only "Application Support" is shown in Filed Against...right?
3 - With "Restrict Work Item Access" ... does this mean they will not see any work item that is not a Support Request?
4 - Since they are in the team External, they can go to that Team Dashboard, but what can they see on the main Project Dashboard?
5 - Do JRS and regular queries follow the access control, or can users see all of the work items?

Looks like it will work, but I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for any guidance..

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 11 '18, 5:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/manage-access-control-permissions-for-work-items-and-versionables/ section learning for an overview about read access restriction options for RTC 6.0.3 and higher.

Note that only category based read access restriction is automated today.
Note that reports, queries, plans, dashboards will only show the work items the user has access to.

Mahari Hill selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jan 10 '18, 6:57 p.m.

Hi, Mahari

1. Yes, that is correct
2. "Restrict Category Visibility" will restrict a specific category visible to the members of the associated team only.
That is only the members of specific team (associated with the category) will see that category in Filed Against
"Restrict Work Item Access", only the members of the team can access to the work item if the specific category(with this restriction enabled) is set in filed against
4, Not sure what this means
5. JRS will honor the team category access control restrictions(point 3 in above) from v6.0.3

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.