It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBMi 6.0.4 Java installed version

James Cole (9532630) | asked Dec 04 '17, 12:55 p.m.

Hi All, 

I have been reviewing the 6.0.4 install guide / system requirements it has been noted that it appears that it requires Java 7.1 however, the system requirements only specify Java 7.1 for the CLM server (on IBMI) and not the build engine. 

Please can you confirm if Java 7.1 is required for the build engine or is it supported with Java 6.

Many Thanks in advance 

James

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 07 '17, 7:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 07 '17, 7:11 a.m.

James,

the description of the JBE and the Java needed has always left something to be desired, to be honest.

1. I would usually assume that the version of Java shipped with the server and the clients (RTC Eclipse) is the version the JBE was tested against
2. Supported does not mean it only works with the version, supported means what our support will recommend if there are issues and they can use for testing and reproducing the issue
3. Especially for the JBE etc the version of Java that these are run with can be completely different of the versions of Java that is used within a build or by the build tools used

So, I don't think there is an issue. If you can use the version shipped with the server/client for the JBE (for a 32 bit JBE use the 32 bit version for 64 bit the 64 bit version. You can use others unless you get problems. E.g. I have seen communication problems with Java 8 and the RTC Java API in the past. This could be gone already.

Use any other version in the builds.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.