It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to display any suite information during the execution?

Andre Chistoni (157) | asked Dec 01 '17, 9:17 a.m.

Hello.

I was wondering if it's possible to display any information contained in suite during the execution (like a guideline) for the users containing information like:

Sales Order:
Cliente ID: 
Product Type:

This information is specific about the suite, so I would like to display to the user during his test.

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Dec 04 '17, 10:38 p.m.

I don't think there is such feature available in test suite execution.
You may consider put those info in test suite's Description so that the user would see them when open test suite before execution. Or put the guideline etc to [Normative and Informative Documents] section of the test suite and add some Notes to description field to ask the tester go to [Normative and Informative Documents] section to check with guideline before running the execution.
Another possible approach could be using Information step in manual script(v6.0.3 or higher) for those guideline so that the tester would know the info when running the scripts.

Andre Chistoni selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Daniel Barbour commented Dec 06 '17, 4:30 p.m. | edited Dec 06 '17, 4:30 p.m.

Hi Don,

We found that when running a test script the browser does not stop at Information Steps. For example, in a test script where steps 1, 2, and 4 are execution steps and step 3 is an information step - during execution RQM will stop at step 1, then step 2, then step 4 and Information step 3 may not even be visible to the tester if step 4 is long.  Information steps can be useful to document information about the test script - but cannot be relied upon to be seen by the tester during execution so should not be used to contain information the tester must act upon at run time.

Don Yang commented Dec 06 '17, 5:26 p.m.

You are right that Info step may not be that obvious. if it is the info for tester to act on at run time, that it can be in the execution steps.

One other answer

permanent link
Dawn McMannama (515) | answered Dec 06 '17, 10:55 a.m.

I would like to add more information related to the use of the Information Step.  The experience on our team is that the Information Step rolls right off the screen at the top. If the user/tester doesn't know it is there, they won't see it.  They need to be told the step is there so they can scroll up and see it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.