It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Dependency build unable to identify dependent module and run necessary link-edit

Louis Lock (3018) | asked Oct 10 '17, 6:27 p.m.
edited Oct 11 '17, 3:06 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)

I have two programs (StartApp and PrintApp) in my z/OS project.  StartApp calls PrintApp explicitly ( Call 'PrintApp' using Program-pass-fields ).  I changed the PrintApp program and ran a dependency build.  My expectation is that the dependency build identifies the dependency and re-link-edits the calling program StartApp.  However, the build only compiles and link-edits the changed program without relinking the calling program.  As a result, the change made did not take effect when I tested it by invoking the StartApp program.  I know that my link editor translator must have the link-edit check-box checked.  I've made sure I did that.  Source code data scanning has been enabled.  Are there any other configurations to ensure dependency build properly runs?  Thanks.

3 answers

permanent link
Alex Akilov (1211724) | answered Oct 17 '17, 11:27 p.m.

FYI, the RTC link edit parser only works with Program Objects in PDSEs (not Load Modules in PDSs).  Are you linking with Objects or Load modules?

permanent link
Louis Lock (3018) | answered Oct 18 '17, 10:05 a.m.

Hi Alex, thanks for your response.  I'm linking program objects in PDSEs.  In my link-editor translator, I have the program object PDSE library as one of the DD concatentations for SYSLIB.  Thanks.

permanent link
Alex Akilov (1211724) | answered Feb 02 '18, 8:16 a.m.

Louis,

You may wish to review https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/FAQBLZLKEPS.  As you can see, RTC is designed to support what you're trying to do but there are little devils in the details.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.