It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Case Execution Record Categories and Test Case Result Categories are different? Can be inherited together?

Thao Nguyen (37334) | asked Oct 02 '17, 9:28 p.m.
Hello,

Do we have any pratical examples to show differences between Test Case Execution Record Categories and Test Case Result Categories?

If I create some categories for Test Case Execution Record Categories (appear in Test Case Execution Record view), can it be automatically inherited in Test Case Result Categories (ie.: appear in Test Case Result view)?

2 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Oct 03 '17, 1:16 a.m.

You may consider to have a global category scoped to TCER and TCR only so that they can share the same category but I cant think of any practical examples to show the differences between TCER and TCR categories.

permanent link
Thao Nguyen (37334) | answered Oct 03 '17, 11:04 p.m.
edited Oct 03 '17, 11:05 p.m.

Thank you Don, global category can help to show that column in TCER or TCR as what we define in its scope

However, seem in TCER, if i set value for that category (for example: category_1 with values 1A, 1B, 1C and i selected value 1B) then run the test, it requires me to "re-select" value 1B for that category. Look like selected value for that category is not "inherited" when we run test case

Do you have any ideas to have selected value of that category keep correct (1B) when we run the test- no need to re-select value 1B? It is somehow time consuming if we have a list of categories to set during TCER, then we have to select again when we run each test 

Comments
Don Yang commented Oct 04 '17, 12:24 a.m.

Unfortunately that is how it works and you would need to sync the value manually. Basically there is no inheritance logic currently. The use case sounds reasonable and it can be a good enhancement request.

Thao Nguyen commented Oct 04 '17, 5:21 a.m. | edited Oct 04 '17, 5:24 a.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.