It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

need to restrict ACTION per USER based on CURRENT STATE?

Uma venkata Lekkala (52819) | asked Sep 23 '09, 10:56 a.m.
I would like to SELECTIVELY allow the user to perform an action against certain states only

Right now a Tester(user role) is given permission to resolve RESOLVE. But I don't find anywhere an option to allow him to RESOLVE from certain states only.

Resolve action is availbale for NEW, IN-PROGRESS, TRIAGED and UNCONFIRMED records. I want the tester to RESOLVE only the UNCONFIRMED records and not others.
I dont see any functionality allowing me to do this

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jun 20 '12, 2:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is possible to set permissions for individual actions in a workflow.  See Team Configuration > Permissions > Work Items > Save Work Item > Trigger a workflow action.  If you want to allow a certain role to resolve a work item from the Unconfirmed state but not from any other state, then change the workflow to define separate actions for Unconfirmed -> Resolved and [any other state] -> Resolved, and set the permissions as desired.

Permissions for individual actions might not have been available in 2009 when this question was asked, but they are available in RTC 4.0.  I don't know which version of RTC was the first to have them.
Uma venkata Lekkala selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Uma venkata Lekkala (52819) | answered May 07 '15, 1:07 p.m.
 yes, 
There was no operation behavior functionality when I posted this question for version 1.0 tools!

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Jun 20 '12, 1:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Uma,
You can define workflow for the workitem state.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.