It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create custom id automatically to artifacts in Doors Next Generation

Rohini Kumar (92853) | asked Aug 23 '17, 1:01 a.m.

Hi Team,

My scenario is that I want to create custom id automatically to artifacts in DNG
 It is possible using extension in DNG ?
 how can I do this?
Thanks In Advance

Regards
Amruta.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Aug 29 '17, 11:30 a.m.

Amruta,

when you say "custom id" and automatically, does this mean
a - there is a custom attribute "id" which you want to autofill when the artifact is created?
b - you want an automatically increasing custom ID replacing the system artifact ID?

If a --> easy to create a custom attribute and call it e.g. "custom id". Via JavaScript extensions you could read external sources to find out with what to fill it upon creation ( https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RMExtensionsMain )

If b --> hard to do, since artifacts can be created in parallel. You would have to keep some external counter in e.g. a database and implement some kind of locking etc. You would also have to mask the system ID which does not seem possible or feasible. Not a recommended route at all. Why not use the artifact ID generated by the system?

If a is the answer and it is useful to you please mark this as accepted.

- Arne

Rohini Kumar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rohini Kumar commented Sep 07 '17, 8:06 a.m.

Thanks for the quick response,

I just hide System id I want to create custom  id in custom attribute automatically when artifact created ,e.g when i will create first artifact then custom id will create as 01
Is it possible?
Is there any way to do it?

Rohini Kumar commented Sep 07 '17, 8:11 a.m.

I achieved it using section ,but section cannot come in JRS,there is any way to copy section column into another column which will come in JRS?

Bas Bekker commented Sep 07 '17, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Section, what's that?

Rohini Kumar commented Sep 08 '17, 2:01 a.m.

Section is a feature in DNG,that get automatically numbering e.g 1 ->1.1 for parent child  artifact

2 other answers

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Aug 29 '17, 5:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Amruta,

There have been similar questions about custom ID's (well, with a custom prefix)
Links:
 Is it possible to add a prefix to the id attribute
 How do we create custom prefixes for requirement id numbers
 How to add prefix in DNG id number

Hope this helps.

permanent link
Pavan M (394) | answered Mar 16 '21, 1:16 a.m.

Can I get JavaScript code for the above "a" req as you mentioned above "If a --> easy to create a custom attribute and call it e.g. "custom id". Via JavaScript extensions you could read external sources to find out with what to fill it upon creation ( https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RMExtensionsMain ) ". Kindly provide.

Thank you,
Regards,
Pavanm

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.