It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Lab Resource Properties

Michael Baylis (1832719) | asked Sep 21 '09, 7:36 a.m.
Hi,
I've made a bit of a mess of creating a new Lab Resource Property to be used as a Test Plan Environment Type.

What I did was create a new TOP level called "Programming Languages" and under that entries like C++ Cobol etc.

Unfortunately I realised afterwards that the Test Plan Environment Type dialog only recognises CPU, Installed Software Operating System and Remote Connection on the TOP level. There appears to be no way of getting it to recognising Programming Languages.

I realise I should have put Programming Languages under Installed Software.

There is no way of deleting my mistake and worse, no way to rename existing Lab Resource Properties. So I can't redefine my chosen entries under Installed Software.

How can I get myself out of this mess. If not via the web portal, via Java or REST?

cheers

Michael Baylis
CICS TS System Tester
IBM Hursley

5 answers

permanent link
Matthew Dawson (211) | answered Sep 21 '09, 11:31 a.m.
If you want Programming Languages modeled as their own top (i.e. not under InstalledSoftware) then you need to create an attribute that refers to them on some type that's ultimately referred to by the Machine type tree. If it's never referred to by some type then it can never be picked up by the environment type editor.

If you'd rather have it under Installed Software, then you'll need to make sure that you put it in that type tree under a node that's not already included as a defined Test Plan Environment Type (so, for example, you can create it directly under Installed Software and it would be available in the environment type editor, but if you added it under Browsers it would not be available because the factory setting already selects Browsers and all of their subtypes in the editor).

You ought to be able to hide any *attributes* that you've created. There's a distinct UI gesture for that (select the attribute's check box and use the red X). If memory serves, you cannot hide top-level types, but if you can hide all references to that type then it will never appear in working artifacts.

permanent link
Michael Baylis (1832719) | answered Sep 21 '09, 11:42 a.m.
If you want Programming Languages modeled as their own top (i.e. not under InstalledSoftware) then you need to create an attribute that refers to them on some type that's ultimately referred to by the Machine type tree.

I may be being a bit daft, but what do you mean "create an attribute" and where would I create it?

permanent link
Matthew Dawson (211) | answered Sep 21 '09, 11:55 a.m.
Each type (Machine is a type; so is Installed Software) can have attributes. For instance, every Machine has a name (which is a String attribute). You can see the list of attributes on a type by selecting "Edit Type Attributes" from the context menu available on each type in the Lab Resource Properties editor.

So if you wanted the Machine type to have a field that refers to the available programming languages on it, you would bring up that editor from the context menu on the Machine type and use the plus in the upper right corner of the editor to add a new attribute. You'd be prompted to provide a name for the field/attribute (which must be unique within the type and all of its subtypes), a type ("Type" is a single cardinality reference to another type; "Multiple Values Type" is a multiple cardinality reference to another type) and since we're talking about reference type here (vs. primitive types such as String or Integer), you'll also be prompted to provide the complex type (in our case you'd select Programming Language).

After making that change and logging back into the system, you'll see a new field on all machines that can be set to any of your defined programming languages.

This is the mechanism we use to model all of our factory-defined fields. Machines have CPUs and Operating Systems. OSes have Installed Software, Versions, and Patches.

Explore the fields available in the type attribute editor - it may clear up a lot for you.

permanent link
Matthew Dawson (211) | answered Sep 21 '09, 12:29 p.m.
Also, we have a defect whereby all of the types in a project area are created in a flat namespace, and duplicates aren't allowed, so if you do end up moving your Programming Language types from their own type hierarchy to the Installed Software tree, be warned that you will have to hide each of the types under Programming Language (hiding a type hides all of its subtypes, but for a variety of reasons we don't allow top-level types to be hidden, so you would have to navigate into Programming Language and hide each child individually).

Because you can't hide Programming Language, you won't be able to use that name under the Installed Software tree - you'll have to change it slightly.

Again, this is only if you want to move your languages into the software tree. If you are happy with them as their own type tree, none of these warnings apply.

The defect I mentioned is RQM #16689:

https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=16689

permanent link
Michael Baylis (1832719) | answered Sep 21 '09, 5:22 p.m.
Brilliant. Adding an attribute to "Machine" exposed programming languages.

Thank you for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.