It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Do .jazzignore files take effect only once delivered?

Gergely Mincsovics (258) | asked Jul 18 '17, 3:51 a.m.
edited Jul 18 '17, 3:56 a.m.

Hi All, I have a .jazzignore file in folder A, which has been delivered and contains
core.ignore= \
    {bin}
If I create a bin folder in A, next to this .jazzignore, no unresolved changes show up.

I moved the same .jazzignore file into a subfolder of A, called B.
Then I create a bin folder next to B's .jazzignore. Both the bin and the .jazzignore show up as an unresolved change.
Then I check in B's .jazzignore. The bin is still in the unresolved.

Do I need to deliver .jazzignore files to start working? If so, how can I test them before delivering?

RTC 6.0.1

related:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/104068/jazzignore-not-working-w-rtc-cli
here it is suggested that the check-in would be sufficient

Comments
Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 19 '17, 3:34 a.m.

OPEN QUESTIONS:
(1) how can I ignore a subfolder
  root folder\A\B\bin
so that no other folders get ignored?

(2) What does 'shared folder' refer to in

A .jazzignore files can be contained anywhere under a shared folder. A .jazzignore file that is contained above a shared folder is not recognized.

source:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_scm_eclipse_ignore.html

(3) does rtc read .jazzignore files if these are located
  root folder\A\B.jazzignore
at all?

Donald Nong commented Jul 19 '17, 8:39 p.m.

To ignore the folder "root folder\A\B\bin", you need to create a "root folder\A\B.jazzignore" file containing "core.ignore= {bin}". If you don't want this .jazzignore file to show up as pending change as well, add {.jazzignore} to the same file.

If I am not mistaken, a "shared folder" is one that is under RTC source control. In your example, anything one level up of "root folder" and beyond will not be recognized.

RTC reads all .jazzignore files that are in the shared folder structure. It takes effect right after you refresh the sandbox.

Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 20 '17, 3:29 a.m.
To ignore the folder "root folder\A\B\bin", you need to create a "root folder\A\B.jazzignore" file containing "core.ignore= {bin}"

I did exactly that ("root folder\A\B.jazzignore"), but it simply did not work. The "root folder\A\B\bin" folder was still showing up as unresolved.
Yes, I tried refreshing, and a few more things, but it had no effect.

Donald Nong commented Jul 20 '17, 10:43 p.m.

Maybe it's just the displaying issue on the forum, but let's make sure, the file is ""root folder\A\B\ .jazzignore" - that is, the .jazzignore file and folder "bin" are in the same folder "B". It works in my RTC 6.0.3 environment.

Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 21 '17, 3:19 a.m.

Hi Donald, yes, you are right. It is a displaying issue.
root folder\A\B\.jazzignore  is the path we are talking about

Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 21 '17, 3:29 a.m.

double checked now: my .jazzignore in subfolder B does not work even if delivered, while my .jazzignore in A does work, in RTC 6.0.1

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jul 21 '17, 6:31 a.m.

There is no need to deliver the .jazzignore file, unless you want others to have the same configuration. Let's try this way.
1. Remove all the .jazzignore files except the original one in the root folder.
2. Add the folder root folder/A/B/bin.
3. In the Pending Changes view, expand the Unresolved category so that you can see the folder "bin".
4. Right-click "bin" and select Ignore.

Geoffrey Clemm selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 21 '17, 6:57 a.m. | edited Jul 23 '17, 9:24 a.m.

Donald, this works. Great! Would you move this out to become an answer so that I can accept it?
The diff shows that the empty assignment,
core.ignore.recursive=
is added when using ignore from the interface and then the core.ignore works.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 18 '17, 5:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

By moving the Jazz ignore into a sub folder you basically removed any jazzignore for the files and folders that are not within the hierarchy of that folder.

So essentially you don't have no .jazzignore for all the other folders anymore. I think you either move the .jazzignore back up or create a new one. See https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_scm_eclipse_ignore.html

A .jazzignore files can be contained anywhere under a shared folder. A .jazzignore file that is contained above a shared folder is not recognized.

Comments
Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 18 '17, 5:36 a.m. | edited Jul 18 '17, 5:40 a.m.

I have also tried with copying instead of moving, which made no difference
since I use core.ignore, no recursive, I also do not expect to have any

root folder\A
root folder\A\.jazzignore  <--- A's .jazzignore
root folder\A\bin                <--- no unresolved change
root folder\A\B
root folder\A\B\.jazzignore  <--- B's .jazzignore
root folder\A\B\bin                <--- an unresolved change

Do you mean .jazzignore files are only supposed to work in subfolders of the root folder, and not in lower subfolders?

This is what I read in the link you mention

Does the "shared folder" refer to a folder right below the root folder?

Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 18 '17, 8:19 a.m.

adding {B\bin} or {B/bin} to
A's .jazzignore has no effect either

how can I ignore A\B\bin?

Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 19 '17, 3:36 a.m.

see OPEN QUESTIONS comment on the original question

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jul 19 '17, 2:15 a.m.

You can add {bin} to core.ignore.recursive. If you will add .jazzignore files in sub directories, you may want to add it as well. So your .jazzignore file in folder A will look like:

core.ignore.recursive= \
    {*.class} \
    {.jazzignore} \
    {bin}

core.ignore=

Comments
Gergely Mincsovics commented Jul 19 '17, 11:19 a.m.

thanks, I knew of the recursive solution
please have a look at the OPEN QUESTIONS comment on the original question

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.