It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 6.0.3 - Wrong calculation of the (SAFe) Achieve Value Percentage of a PI Objective

Olivier Béghain (1082234) | asked May 30 '17, 10:13 a.m.

Hello,

i'm using RTC 6.0.3 with the SAFe program process template.

When creating PI Objectives, I noted that the automatically calculated field entitled "Achieved Value (%)" returned wrong values in the following circumstances.
1) If "Business Value (planned)" field is set on 10 for example, when setting the "Business Value (actual)" on 0, then the "Achieved Value (%)" returns 10. It should be 0.
2) If "Business Value (planned)" field is set on 0 for example, when setting the "Business Value (actual)" on 10, then the "Achieved Value (%)" returns 1000. It should be nothing or do something to prevent setting actual BV is planned BV is 0.

Achieved Value (%) = Business Value (actual) / Business Value (planned)

Is this a know behaviour? Can I correct this? If so, how?

Thanks. Regards,
Olivier.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Amy Silberbauer (30657) | answered Jun 09 '17, 9:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi,
It was not a known behavior until you pointed it out, so thank you for that! A defect has been opened so that we can fix this in the template. You can correct it on your own, however, by updating the script that does this calculation. To do that, you must use the Eclipse client and follow these steps:

1. Establish a Repository Connection to your RTC repository
  2. On that connection, choose Manage Connected Project Areas... to access the project area
  3. Open that Project Area and then choose Process Configuration
  4. In the menu, navigate to Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Work Items > Attribute Customization
  5. In the Attribute Customization box, expand Calculated Values to find Calculated Achieved Value
  6. Update the script to only do the calculation if both the planned and actual values are non-zero:
                    var achievedValueRatio = 0;
                    var achievedValue = 0;
                    if (busValPlanned > 0 & busValActual > 0) {
                           achievedValueRatio= Number(busValActual / busValPlanned);
                        achievedValue= achievedValueRatio * 100;
                    } else;

Let me know if you need any help with this and thank you for pointing out the issue.
Amy

Olivier Béghain selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Olivier Béghain commented Jun 10 '17, 3:24 a.m.

Thanks a lot Amy! 

Mayank khosla commented Aug 23 '17, 12:22 p.m. | edited Aug 23 '17, 3:20 p.m.

Thanks Amy, I am working on the same program as Olivier and I checked the formula proposed above. It is still showing an error. (when the actual or planned business value field is 0). 

if both the fields Planned value and actual Business Value are 0 then the achieved % shown is 100. Some divide by zero or infinity problem is happening maybe..(exception/error handler)?

For other values (except 0) in both Planned value and Actual Business Value fields, your formula is working fine,

Can you help us ? Thanks in advance.

Mayank

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.