It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Copy an artifact in one project, then Paste Special in a second project and create a link back to the original artifact?

Steve Dennehy (4115) | asked May 10 '17, 10:01 p.m.
retagged Jan 29 '18, 12:21 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

In RDNG 6.0.3, we have a set of requirements which have been apportioned to a number of contract packages. This apportionment is captured in a custom attribute.

I would like to select all requirements which have a particular apportionment enumeration, copy them, then paste them in a module in a new project. The paste should duplicate those requirements, and create a link back to the source requirement. Pretty simple, exactly the same as Paste Special, with the "Create a link from the original artifact to the copied artifact", but between projects.
Both projects are on the same server, or in our case the same cloud.

Is it possible? I have tried all ways I can think of, but none work.

2 answers

permanent link
Steve Dennehy (4115) | answered May 11 '17, 7:51 p.m.

After some experimentation, allow me to answer my own question:

Yes, is it possible, using csv export, a bit of Excel manipulation, csv import, and link by attribute

1. Filter on the desired attributes (apportionment enumeration and artifact type, in my case)
  2. Show ID, artifact type
  3. Export to csv, open in Excel
  4. Move the values in the ID column to a new column, Old_ID
  5. Clear the ID column
  6. Create a column called "Linking_IDs" or something similar
  7. Create the target module, which must contain the desired artifact type. That artifact type must have custom string attribute "Linking_IDs"
  8. Create a column "module" with each row contains the ID of the target module
  9. Populate "Linking IDs" with concatenate(module,".",Old_ID). That will give you, for example, 1234.11 for a artifact with ID 11, which you wish to clone into module 1234
  10. Export into a new csv, containing id, Artifact Type, Linking IDs, module
  11. In RDNG, select Import Artifact, Import requirements from a CSV file, select your csv, select Import Requirements into a module, select your target module
  12. Pray a little, then hit Finish. The cloned artifacts should appear in your target module
  13. Open that module, then (this is where the magic happens), select all the imported artifacts (200 at a time, because of an application limitation), select Link by Attribute, select create links, select attribute "Linking IDs", select the desired link type, pray a bit more, hit OK.
  14. The links will be created. This works even for cross-project links, provided your link constraints have been set up correctly.

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered May 10 '17, 11:04 p.m.

Does this help?
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_copy_across_projects.html

While you cannot copy them directly into a module, I believe you can put them in different folders for easy organization.

Comments
Steve Dennehy commented May 10 '17, 11:52 p.m.

Thanks Donald

That link however makes no mention of creating a link back to the source artifact.
Any ideas whether it is possible?

Donald Nong commented May 11 '17, 4:50 a.m.

I can't see such option in my testing. Although there is another option "include links", it does not make much a difference - it only warns me that some links cannot be copied, but does not seem to copy any other links at all.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.