It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

JRS reporting across project areas - missing configuration?

Cliff Sadler (62717) | asked May 09 '17, 3:54 p.m.
retagged Jan 29 '18, 12:24 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

A convoluted installation -

Server 1 has JTS, RM, CCM

Server 2 has JTS, QM

Both have JRS, LQE installed

Looking to build 2 tables:  RM to Affected By CCM work items, and RM to QM Validated By Test Cases

RM to CCM works fine as they are both on the same server, even though they are in different Project Areas (i.e. not a Lifecycle Project)

RM to QM no dice.  I can create a view in RM showing requirements, and in a Validated By column, show the live linked data to the Test Case with the Artifact ID, Test Case Name, and a little icon showing test status. When I try to create a report using JRS, the QM project area does not show up in the "Limit the Scope" list.  the two servers and their applications are friends.  I am using LQE as the data source, as I am looking for static data based on the links.

I'm thinking I need to add the qm server as a data source, but how do you select multiple data sources? That doesn't seem possible.

Am I exceeding LQE's ability to see anything outside of the server it is installed on?

I could just use the view and export, but I have no control over what is displayed from the linked test case,  I get a string with the id, test case name, the uri to the test case.  Easy to filter out unless one requirement is linked to more than one test case.  Then it gets ugly.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kevin Cornell (5411) | answered May 10 '17, 11:13 a.m.

You need to simplify your topology. There is no need to have JTS, JRS and LQE on all of the servers. You should have one JTS on server-1  only and all other applications can be on different servers but registered with the same JTS. For performance reasons, JRS (Report Builder) and LQE should be on separate servers but registered with the one JTS. To do this, install JRS (RB and LQE) on a separate server by itself (without JTS) and ensure RB is running (e.g., enter the RB discovery URL https://host:port/rs/scr into FireFox and it should return XML data). Also ensure LQE is running by testing its discovery URL (https://host:port/lqe/scr). On the JTS server, go to .../jts/setup and on the page for registering applications, click the "Add application" button and enter the RB discovery URL. Click Add application again and enter the LQE discovery URL. When you click register applications, this will register RB and LQE with JTS even though they are on a separate server. Do the same for RQM ... install it without JTS on its own server and then register it with JTS on server-1. Do the same for LQE.

Your new topology should look something like this:

server-1: JTS, RM, CCM
server-2: RQM
server-3: RB, LQE

In the LQE administration Data sources page, you can add easily both TRS feeds for RQM (.../qm/trs2 and .../qm/process-trs2).

The LQE data source in report builder will then have the one set of JTS users and the combined project areas from CCM, RM and QM. This should allow cross-project reporting between RM and QM artifacts.

Cliff Sadler selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Cliff Sadler commented May 10 '17, 12:36 p.m.

Agree on the simplify.  Both server/application installs were started on different sides of the continent on different networks, for different reasons.  One focusing on the development tasks (the /jazz app and yes it's that old), and the other on testing.  the tie in was Requisite Pro data.

Long story short, we absorbed the testing server and it's users into the same network with the jazz app, and migrated the requirements, first to D9, and then recently to DNG.  The qm side uses RFT for automated testing, so I wasn't sure how that might be affected if we started trying to consolidate the JTS between the 2 environments.

Good news is we are at 6.0.3, so things are getting better/easier to manage.

Any tribal knowledge or wiki pointers about merging 2 existing JTS into one with LOTS of existing data at stake? LQE and RB show tons of promise for eliminating all the crazy manipulations it takes to get RPE to hop around different app schemas to gather up related data for simple tables.

One other answer

permanent link
Cathy Xu (390515) | answered May 10 '17, 2:55 a.m.

Hi Cliff,

The data source you choose in Report Builder is LQE.
Is it because your QM is missing from your LQE node?
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYMRC_6.0.4/com.ibm.team.jp.lqe2.doc/topics/t_lqe_data_sources.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.