It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Can one restrict the relationship between an artifcat type and artifact format - DNG 6.0.3

ed Neubecker (15322847) | asked Mar 10 '17, 8:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
closed Apr 04 '23, 5:44 a.m. by David Honey (1.8k17)

In DNG 6.0.3 :
Is there a way to restrict the artifact type to ONLY use a specific artifact format?
I know there is a default artifact format associated with each artifact type, but users can override this and change it.
When this occurs it seems to be "by end user mistake", and creates a big headache for reporting, filtering/views to try utilize this data. 
Is there a way to do the following:
1.) Remove the available artifact formats associated to a specific artifact format?
2.) Restrict it such that a given artifact type can only use a specific artifact format?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 12 '17, 7:49 p.m.

The artifact formats are quite different and produce visually different results. What "end user mistakes" were made? I'm just curious.

ed Neubecker commented Mar 16 '17, 10:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

1.) Mistakes are made on importing or untrained users.
2.) Even when this is intentional, it makes reporting tremendously difficult because the "Artifact format" is not included in LQE or the DW so users cannot build a JRS filter to filter out the mismatches that were created.

The question has been closed for the following reason: "Problem is not reproducible or outdated" by davidhoney Apr 04 '23, 5:44 a.m.

One answer

permanent link
Adrian Haw (2741241) | answered Mar 16 '17, 10:02 a.m.
edited Mar 31 '23, 7:24 a.m. by Lokesh Kalal (111)

Ed,
I know what you mean - I raised an enhancement request for exactly this issue. Unfortunately you can only define preferred artifact types and cannot exclude artifact types from being added into a module. An end user can add ANY artifact type defined in a project into ANY module, with potentially disastrous consequences for your workflow, printing templates, etc.
If you want to vote for it, you can do it here --> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=100761

Donald,
The use case is, that you can associate artifact types such as 'Stakeholder Requirement', 'Heading' with a module artifact, say 'Use Cases'. When a user editing a module of artifact 'Use Cases' inserts a new artifact they can select any artifact type into the module even if it makes no sense at all for that module, eg insert an artifact of type 'Test Case' into the module 'Use Cases'. What we need is a deny list/allow list concept, to restrict which artifact types can be added into the special artifact type of module.

Knock-on effects of not being able to restrict the artifact types per module are:
- View creation/change .... any attribute of any artifact type is visible in any module type when  searching for attributes to add to a view. You can add any of these attributes into your view, when they are not associated with any artifact tyes in the module but nothing will ever be displayed in that view column.
- Exporting eg via RPE... artifact types not catered for in your RPE template but existing in a module you are exporting are ignored (or you have to have a condition which looks for any artifact type in in your expect list and print an error to say 'unexpected artifact type' or similar...
there are plenty of other circumstances where this lack of control creates problems.

<edited 2023-03-31 by IBM to update terminology>

Comments
ed Neubecker commented Mar 16 '17, 10:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Adrian, Can you post the JAZZ.net work item here for reference?

Donald Nong commented Mar 16 '17, 10:55 p.m.

Ed, I believe this is the one.
https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/112752

But I think you should vote on the RFE item in the RFE community, rather than the jazz.net WI.

@Adrian your explanation makes sense. From Ed's original post, I thought the intention was to restrict the format of "Text", "Module", "Collection" and "Diagram", which is bit hard to understand.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 31 '23, 7:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Test Comment