It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how do i remove a tag in csv file import to rtc

Maureen Hafner (61) | asked Mar 08 '17, 11:00 a.m.

When using a csv file import to RTC, how do I format a tag field to remove a tag already on the work item?

Comments
Maureen Hafner commented Mar 08 '17, 4:37 p.m.

Yes and then all tags were removed.  I would like to be able to remove one tag and leave the rest. 

Maureen Hafner commented Mar 08 '17, 4:43 p.m.

I also found that if I add a new tag that also replaces all the tags previously added with just the new value.

Maureen Hafner commented Mar 08 '17, 4:45 p.m.

Michelle, thanks for the suggestion.

One answer

permanent link
Michelle Rivera (112) | answered Mar 08 '17, 3:05 p.m.

Have you tried specifying blank values in the "Tags" column of your CSV.

Comments
Michelle Rivera commented Mar 08 '17, 5:04 p.m.

Maureen,

I tried a simple Export of work items (used RTC Eclipse) - of the Id and Tags.  I then removed the 'unwanted' Tag from the CSV file, re-Imported and it seemed to work.  I imagine you'd need to do a find/replace of the unwanted tag in your CSV - if you're dealing with many records/work items.

Exported
"Id","Tags"
"100","keepthis, removethis"

Imported
"Id","Tags"
"100","keepthis"

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 09 '17, 3:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The problem here is assumptions. I created my own importer and for attributes with multiple values such as tags you have to make assumptions a bout how this is supposed to work. There are several potential conflicting requirements such as 

1. In the import I want to remove all tags and only set the tags from the import data
2. In the import I want to add tags that are in the import data

Looking at Michelles test the approach taken was 1. Which means if only one tag should be removed you have to find all tags first, remove the one you don't want and import the rest.

I am not aware of an option to switch behavior between 1 and 2 in the RTC importer. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.