It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Latest Attribute customization wiki for RTC 6.0.2

Vivek Pandey (4321538) | asked Feb 08 '17, 8:23 a.m.
edited Feb 08 '17, 8:30 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)

Hi,

We generally refer to following URL which has very good documentation of attribute customization details.

However, this page says that , it is based on RTC 3.0.1 and last updated on Feb-2013.
IS there any latest version of attribute customization wiki as per RTC V6.0.2 ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 08 '17, 8:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 08 '17, 8:31 a.m.

That is the current version, there are updates in the wiki page and there has been no real progress on that interface. I would also not expect a lot of progress. 

From my perspective, this interface also creates a lot more problems than it solves. The conclusions and assumptions users have jumped to with respect to the capabilities of this interface, even if documented otherwise in https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization and what actually can be done diverge so much it is not even funny. This results in a huge amount of similar questions in this forum around this topic, as well.

Vivek Pandey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Vivek Pandey commented Feb 08 '17, 10:39 a.m. | edited Feb 08 '17, 10:46 a.m.

Thanks Ralph ! Appreciate your response.

However from our perspective, this interface solves lot of automation challenges of RTC, where we dont need heavy duty Server extension and java skills to customize the tool, so this interface must definitely be improved in order to support growing needs of various other customization needs within RTC.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 08 '17, 10:53 a.m. | edited Feb 08 '17, 10:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I discussed enhancing these interfaces with development some time back. There is a really big concern, that I share after seeing what users try to do with attribute customization, that too many customizations will be built in, which slows down the server considerably. We have/had problems with other tools that were "customized to death" by users often trying to solve orginizational or other problems with these customizations. 

One thing that would be essential would be the capability to measure how much time is lost due to customizazions so that it can be pinpointed to customers that make the tools unusable due to heavy customization.

My concern is that JavaScript seems to be very easy to use - which it is not. That leads to users that lack a background to understand the consequences and the ability to prevent implementing unreasonable requests trying to create customizations with all the problems that creates.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.