It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to add Default Value (Iteration) to some work item types, not all?

Vicky Pagnaer (63230) | asked Nov 22 '18, 10:02 a.m.

I want to set a Default Iteration, but not for all work item types.

I've added a Default Value in Attribute Customization (for Iteration = 'Product Backlog'), but when I try to add the Default Value to only some of the work item types, I get the following warning: "Modifying a built-in attribute will affect all Work Item types in this Project Area".

How can I add the Default Value for some of our Work Item types, without it being the Default Value for ALL work item types?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ian Wark (79713553) | answered Nov 26 '18, 2:59 a.m.

The short answer is you probably can't do this without impacting in other undesired ways or without a significant amount of trouble.

You could create a new Iteration attribute in your work item, and apply the default value to this and this will not impact on all other work items. But if you do that I get the feeling that you will miss out on other built in features of the Iteration. It could have a lot of unintended problems.

You could try creating your own Javascript version of a default value that specifically filters out the other work item types. See this wiki. It may be tricky getting this to work correctly, however, and there are no guarantees.

(Note.. this site seems to be down ATM; it might have been removed.)

Or you could create a Java version of the same. There is good information on how to deploy that at the bottom of the same attribute customization wiki page and you can glean other information from Ralph's blog:

Vicky Pagnaer selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.