It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Parent-Child and ParentBinding

Scott Ankrum (25313) | asked Feb 06 '17, 2:16 p.m.

In Doors N.G. 6.0.2, when importing requirement artifacts from a CSV or Excel file, I am confused about the difference between the relationship created by numbers in a parentBinding column and the ID column, and the two columns parentOf and childOf.  I imported a CSV file that used parentBinding to define a hierarchy of requirements.  That created hierarchical numbers in the Contents column, but it did not cause the parentOf and childOf columns to be populated.  Are they different relationships?  Where, in the knowledge center, are they explained?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 07 '17, 1:13 a.m.

Yes, they are different.

"parentBinding" is a special CSV column for defining hierarchy. It's explained in this article.
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DNGCSVImpExp

ParentOf/ChildOf are just "links", similar to LinkTo/LinkFrom, and have nothing to do with hierarchy. BTW, if I export a CSV from my RDNG 6.0.2, the column shows as "Link:Parent Of" or "Link:Child Of", so it should be quite obvious.

Scott Ankrum selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 07 '17, 8:46 a.m.

Thank you Donald for that clear and concise answer.

To IBM, I must ask: Why are they different?  They seem like two different ways of saying the same thing. 

Donald Nong commented Feb 08 '17, 1:05 a.m.

I'm not a developer or a BA, but I disagree about the "same thing". The parent/child link can be applied to any two artifacts, regardless they are module artifact or base artifact, or module artifacts in the same module. While "parentBinding" is strictly for module only.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.