It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does REQIF data transfer from DOORS to DOORS next generation provide capability to keep imported data in locked state?

Anjuri Kelaiya (3726) | asked Apr 07 '17, 1:10 a.m.

I am transferring data from DOORS to DOORS next generation through REQIF file and I want to keep data(Objects/Attributes) in locked state when it is imported into DNG.

REQIF provides some locking options but it is applicable for exported data only. Those locks are not applicable on imported data.
Is there any provision so that lock can be apply on imported data as well through REQIF file transfer?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Apr 07 '17, 6:25 a.m.

One of my colleagues has done some extensive work in this area, and I ask him to answer this.

Anjuri Kelaiya commented Apr 07 '17, 7:58 a.m.

Thanks Donald!! It would be very helpful

Accepted answer

permanent link
Charlie Seo (22127) | answered Apr 09 '17, 9:10 p.m.
edited Apr 09 '17, 9:14 p.m.

Your observation is correct that DOORS has a feature that locks objects to prevent further changes until a REQIF from the same REQIF definition is imported. It is a design to avoid any conflict from concurrent update. 

DOORS ReqIF includes information (XML element) to indicate the locking level of objects but DNG wouldn't be able to interpret this since DNG does not have such a concept. 

So to speak, with a subsequent REQIF file produced from DNG using the same REQIF Definition from DOORS, it will lose those locking information if your use case is to support a round trip. However, DOORS repository still holds locking information under the ReqIF Definition, there wouldn't be an issue with importing and merging updates.

However, any new data (modules) from DNG cannot secure locking information in the REQIF file (since DNG does not support this concept) so you would encounter with some issue with importing / merging from DOORS. To be more precisely, new modules from DNG using REQIF would be strictly read-only so you won't be able to keep up updates by round trip. 

As a workaround (with your own risk), it is possible to manipulate REQIF file from DNG that becomes more DOORS compatible by adding some DOORS specific XML elements and you can create locks for new modules from DNG as well. 

Anjuri Kelaiya selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Anjuri Kelaiya commented Apr 13 '17, 1:23 a.m.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your input.
Could you please let me know is there any utility or something which can be used to manipulate REQIF file and to apply lock on imported data? 
In my case, I am doing round trip import/export from DOORS to DNG and DNG to DOORS as well. So I need to apply lock on imported data.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.