It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Renaming Component

Tamara Knowles (1113) | asked Feb 06 '17, 12:52 p.m.

I created a component by adding an existing component to another stream. I have since deleted and added files to the newly created component. I would like to rename my new component without affecting the original component in the other stream. When I rename the new component it renames both components. 

One answer

permanent link
Morten Madsen (3053250) | answered Feb 06 '17, 4:24 p.m.
edited Feb 06 '17, 4:25 p.m.

When you add a component to a stream (and you don't choose to create a new one), you basically choose to "work" on an existing component starting from a certain version/baseline. Thus it is the same component in all your streams, sharing the same name and being able to be compared with one another, but they are all in different versions.

Therefore you cannot rename one without renaming all because there is only one component but in different versions.

You could however create a new component and then add all your files to that one as well. But then you will never be able to deliver changes between the two streams or compare contents. That is very rare behavior though, and maybe you should consider, what you are trying to achieve before you make that decision.

Comments
Tamara Knowles commented Feb 07 '17, 12:27 p.m.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response. The new component was incorrectly created and should have been created as a 'new' component from the start. Now I am trying to fix the issue by simply renaming the component as files have already been added to the component. Since as you mentioned this is not possible without affecting the original, I will opt to move all the new files to a brand new component with the correct name. Is checking in and delivering the only way to achieve this? I know it's possible to duplicate streams? Can you duplicate components?

When I move the files and metadata to the new component with the correct name, I want to do it in a way that the history and integrity of the file system is maintained. 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 07 '17, 1:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In order to preserve history, you will need to have a workspace with both components, load that workspace, and use the "Team -> Move_in_repository" command from the Eclipse client.   If you have 6.0.3, you can apply this command to any file.   If you have a pre-6.0.3 client, you can move an entire Eclipse project root directory (so first move all the files you want to move into an Eclipse project, and move that Eclipse project).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.