It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How Can You Use One Database for Two JTS Servers

Rob Olsen (3512153) | asked Feb 04 '17, 10:28 p.m.

I have a single server which I use for a Staging Server.  It's an "image" of the Production server without going to the point of a rename.  I simply modify the "hosts" file so it points to itself.  You need to run it from the browser on that server.  Its isolated and only users that can log on to that server can access it.  So I decided to create another JTS, on that same server, but make this one from scratch and available from outside browsers.  I would like to use the same database currently being used by the Staging Server JTS.  Is this possible?  I tried going through JTS setup but when I get to the SQL Database screen, I enter the database but get the following message:

The configured database lock id does not match the lock id in the database. This can happen if 2 applications or Jazz Team Servers are trying to access the same set of tables, or if the lock id was overwritten or lost in the teamserver.properties configuration file. Check the server configuration and the database connection spec and ensure they are correct. To recover from an emergency lockout, the lock can be reset using the 'repotools -resetRepoLockId' command. Check the log file for information on the affected database.

Running "resetRepoLockId" does not work because it uses the current teamserver.properties files which has not been updated yet and still points to the default Derby database.  I tried "hacking" the teamserver.properties file and copy from the Staging Server teamserver.properities file, but that gets me more messed up.

Any ideas on how I can do this?  I do not run both JTS's at the same time.  They are running off of WebSpeher so I control which one is up and running.  Any ideas would be appreciated! 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Feb 05 '17, 6:45 p.m.

I don't know why you would do it that way - you basically contradict yourself. You tried to create the second JTS from scratch, which means that you should start with an "empty" database. But then why do you want to use the same database with existing data? It just makes no sense to me.

It should be easy enough to create a new SQL Server database for the second JTS. I don't see any benefit (if any at all) of using the existing JTS database.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 06 '17, 3:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Agreed. When setting up a new application create a new database with a new name. 

Rob Olsen commented Feb 07 '17, 9:16 p.m.

Donald, the rational was pretty simple to use the one database.  It already had all of the data from the Production server and will only be used for the staging server when I do upgrades.  Getting new databases is not as easy as 1-2-3 around here, and takes days (I know my problem).  So if the database existed, I figured I might as well use it.

I will accept Ralph's response though and go and get new databases created.  Thanks!

Donald Nong commented Feb 07 '17, 11:57 p.m.

You probably only consider things that you see as "data". Remember that the database also contains metadata and other application self-contained data such such linkage between applications, applications configuration and etc.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 08 '17, 2:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The only thing in common two JTS DBs have is the table structure the data inside is completely different. 

Yes, you can backup on JTS and restore another JTS and maybe get it to work, but then you would have to be very careful and know how to back up CLM.

I do this every day with a tool I have written for me in my demo environments.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.