It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

distributed SCM

anna maria scardera (33711) | asked Feb 03 '17, 9:15 a.m.

Hi All,
    Distributed SCM seems to be the key to move code, workitems, build, history and so on from one RTC server to another RTC server.
My questions are:
- is it correct that also the history can be moved?
- after everything is moved is it possible to remove the friendship created between the servers and in a certain way obtain the 'moving' of a project area from one repository RTC server to another repository?

All suggestions on this subject is really appreciated.
Thanks, regards
Anna Maria Scardera

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 03 '17, 9:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Distributed SCM can distribute SCM data - changes sets, streams, repository workspaces, components with history.

It does not  do this with work items or any other data. It especially can not move project areas. 

The friends relationship is not really required as far as I can tell, it only helps with navigating back to work items in the other repository.

Comments
anna maria scardera commented Feb 03 '17, 10:41 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, so as far as I understand this means that if there is a distributed SCM between two servers this means two things:
1) one server can see change sets, streams, component history and so on of the other server (as you said, you can 'navigate') without moving into the other
2) if in the future the second server will break the Distributed SCM it is no more possible to see the objects like history right?

Thanks
Anna

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 03 '17, 10:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think you should really read the articles in the link.

1. Distributed SCM creates a deep copy of all the changes and components on the other server. You physically flow changes across the servers.
2. Distributed SCM requires both servers to enable it and both servers need to be able to be connected by the client to replicate changes across repository boundaries.

Just accessing SCM data on different servers and being able to navigate from one server to another is not distributed scm, but normal operation. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.