It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Code Migration from ClearCase to RTC using Baseline Importer - Partial labels need imported

James Mislay (118) | asked Jan 27 '17, 1:33 p.m.

We are migrating source code from Base ClearCase to RTC (V6.0.2).  We have been using the baseline importer to import the release labels we want to bring forward.  We have come across a project group that applies release labels over the entire VOB but only applies 'patch' labels to the files that changed.  The patch labels are not even to the root folder (vob).

I believe the baseline importer requires the labels be applied to the root folder.  If this is the case, there are hundreds of 'patched' labels that would require rework.  Is there any options that will allow us to migrate the release & patch labels?

Regards,
Jim

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 27 '17, 1:58 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no way for the synchronizer to know what version of the non-labeled directories/files should be selected, without additional information (such as a base label, a branch type, etc).

One approach is to write a script, that for each logical stream in ClearCase, and then for each patch label on that stream, moves a "working label" to all the appropriate directories/files, perform an import of that working label, and then repeat for each additional patch label.

Comments
James Mislay commented Jan 27 '17, 2:39 p.m.

Thanks for your quick answer!  I thought was going to be the answer.  I would suspect there is a base label for each patch label (identified by the previous release).  I assume the baseline importer cannot take that into account and use it?  Just trying to understand the capabilities of the baseline importer.

Is there any other alternatives?  I suspect the version importer would be overkill for what we need but is that an option?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 27 '17, 2:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That is correct that the baseline importer has no mechanism to leverage the base label.  The version importer isn't likely to be of use in this scenario.   Is there any reason not to use the scripted approach (other than avoiding the effort of writing the script)?   It shouldn't be a very hard script to write.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.