It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question on check in and deliver

Narayanan Potti (27037279) | asked Sep 03 '09, 4:56 p.m.
Hi

We're using RTC 1.0.1.1 installed on Windows server 2003 machine. A user here reported this situation:

1. In pending changes view he had 3 outgoing change sets. He wanted to check in and deliver only one of the three.
2. Selected one change set, right click on it and did Checkin and Deliver. It delivered all three change sets and no change sets appear in the Pending Changes view.

Is it the way Checkin and Deliver works ? If not, I need to know why this happened. If there are any settings in the project or team to prevent this please let me know.

Thank You
npotti

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 04 '09, 3:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

that sounds strange.

RTC supports selective check in and delivery of change sets. It is even possible to reorganize changes in separate change sets later.

It is also possible to suspend and resume separate change sets.

The UI allows to select a change set and just check in and deliver this specific change set. The controlling element is where you right click the outgoing changes. If you right click a single change set you deliver just that. If you right-click on outgoing you deliver all change sets.

You mention checking in and deliver change sets below. Actually you don't check in a change set. You create a change set when checking in or you add a change to a change set. After this has been done the change sets can be delivered.

There is a difference between change and change set. Changes are changes to files. Change sets are objects that accumulate changes in the SCM system.

I suspect from your description what happened is, there where several outgoing changes locally that needed check in. The users selected the unresolved node and selected checkin and deliver. The result is that the changes where subsumed into a new change set and delivered.

In this situations I typically do a check in first. Either on all changes or just on separate ones. A change set gets created for the change if none exists. It is also possible to select the desired change set to add the change If one already exists. After I am happy with the distribution of the changes into their change sets (and the work items associated) I deliver singe or multiple change sets to the stream.

Ralph

permanent link
Narayanan Potti (27037279) | answered Sep 04 '09, 10:20 a.m.
Ralph

Thanks a lot for giving me the response, it's very informative to me. I'll follow up with the user if he did check in and deliver from the Unresolved node.

Thank You
npotti

Hi,

that sounds strange.

RTC supports selective check in and delivery of change sets. It is even possible to reorganize changes in separate change sets later.

It is also possible to suspend and resume separate change sets.

The UI allows to select a change set and just check in and deliver this specific change set. The controlling element is where you right click the outgoing changes. If you right click a single change set you deliver just that. If you right-click on outgoing you deliver all change sets.

You mention checking in and deliver change sets below. Actually you don't check in a change set. You create a change set when checking in or you add a change to a change set. After this has been done the change sets can be delivered.

There is a difference between change and change set. Changes are changes to files. Change sets are objects that accumulate changes in the SCM system.

I suspect from your description what happened is, there where several outgoing changes locally that needed check in. The users selected the unresolved node and selected checkin and deliver. The result is that the changes where subsumed into a new change set and delivered.

In this situations I typically do a check in first. Either on all changes or just on separate ones. A change set gets created for the change if none exists. It is also possible to select the desired change set to add the change If one already exists. After I am happy with the distribution of the changes into their change sets (and the work items associated) I deliver singe or multiple change sets to the stream.

Ralph

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.