It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What could be reasons for Liberty Server not starting on D: Drive ?

Serge Charbonneau (13) | asked Jan 04 '17, 11:32 a.m.
edited Jan 04 '17, 12:34 p.m. by Arne Bister (2.6k12832)

Hi,

I've installed Jazz 6.0.3 successfully multiple times on the C: drive of a server.  This time, I installed it on the D: drive.

When I start the Liberty Server with the batch file server.startup.bat, I received the following error message:

Error: Could not find or load main class Files.IBM.JazzTeamServer.server.conf

Any idea what is causing this behavior?

Thank you,

Serge

Comments
Arne Bister commented Jan 04 '17, 12:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Serge,

good news is that CLM 6.0.3 with Liberty starts perfectly for me on various (also productive) windows systems when installed to the D: drive.
So this is not about the drives. I would assume either an environment variable (PATH, JAVA_HOME) or a path variable in the .ini file needs to be tweaked. What JDK are you using? Please make sure your env is pointing to a Java 7 or 8 JDK and also 64 bit if you are on a 64 bit system.
Under what path did you install exactly on D:\ ?
How exactly are you invoking the server.startup.bat ?

Serge Charbonneau commented Jan 04 '17, 1:21 p.m.

Hi Arne,

I'm using the JDK that comes with Jazz 6.0.3.  Version 7.1 I believe.

I used the default path suggested by the installation manager but I changed C: to D:.  So the paths all start with D:\Program Files\.

And I'm starting server.startup.bat from a command prompt in the folder where it is located.

I uninstalled and reinstalled on C: and it works fine.  So there is something in the installation wizard that does not like my paths based on D:.

Ultimately, I want to install Jazz on D:.  Not C:.  So I have to resolve this.

Where can I find the .ini file?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.6k217) | answered Aug 09 '18, 7:38 p.m.
This is because C:\Program Files\... is a protected 'virtual' file system in Windows, so Windows looks after the space for you automatically as well as looking after write access to the folders. This is also why you have to run the Jazz server as a local admin role of some sort when it's installed to this folder.

When you install anywhere else, it's just a regular file system and so you have to manually manage any problems with spaces by escaping everything in quotes etc. but you can then also run the Jazz server as a non privileged user.

I always do my installations to <drive>:\IBM\JazzTeamServer to avoid both problems. It then also broadly fits the *nix convention of using /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Isabel Murakami (3811615) | answered Jan 04 '17, 12:42 p.m.
I have seen an issue before caused because Customer was using a path with space at the name, and the drive used was not using FAT system, so it was not compatible with the old 8.3 format (progra~1) and the JAZZ_HOME was set using the old 8.3 format.

permanent link
Serge Charbonneau (13) | answered Jan 11 '17, 4:15 p.m.

I solved the problem by selecting a path for the JazzTeamServer that does not have any space in it.  Suprinsingly, the default path for installing the JTS is "C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer" which has a space in it.  However, the JTS does not seem to like a path like "D:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer".

permanent link
Brian Lahaie (1081514) | answered Aug 09 '18, 6:03 p.m.

I ran into the same error with 6.0.6 when CLM was installed in "D:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer606".

To resolve the issue I uninstalled and re-installed into this directory "D:\JazzTeamServer606".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.