It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Save conflict - Failed saving work items because they didn't have the most recent state.

Yaron Norani (47267065) | asked Nov 09 '16, 8:08 a.m.
Hello,
We are using RTC 6.0.2 , web UI.
Scenario:
1. User 1 use "plan view" and see all items related to the plan. specific work item is in state" new".
2. User 2 edit this work item using his credentials , update the status and save.
3. Now, user 1 change from the plan the same item status. He still see state = "new".

Once trying to save he get the following error.
Error:
Save conflict - Failed saving work items because they didn't have the most recent state. Refresh, make additional changes, then save again

2 answers

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001423) | answered Nov 09 '16, 8:26 a.m.

Yes, that's the expected behaviour of the tool.

The error message is quite self-explanatory.

What's your point?

Comments
Yaron Norani commented Nov 09 '16, 9:07 a.m.

Hi Miguel,

1. Users perform several changes. try to save. Get this error and loose their changes.
2. They feel they can not trust the tool.

Miguel Tomico commented Nov 09 '16, 9:21 a.m.

Well... There is no reason to not to trust the tool, as RTC handles these concurrent modifications in a controlled way. It's the same behaviour as most web-based applications.

Would you prefer the tool to somehow merge the changes? Or maybe connect every second to the server to retrieve the lastest version and lock the work item while others are editing?

I wouldn't.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 09 '16, 9:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have rarely seen any losses when doing the refresh and I have also rarely been impacted by multiple users working on one work item. I am not saying it does not happen. It does with very important items, but I wonder if it happens very frequently, if this is due to an immature process.

I see a lot of back and forth when commenting - where the refresh basically does not loose the new comment I am creating.

Usually very few people, typically only the owner, are actually working on the attributes, where conflicts could potentially cause a loss.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 09 '16, 9:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In the planning UI, you might want to use the Auto Save option which makes the likelihood of collisions smaller.

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Nov 10 '16, 7:56 a.m.
 Hi,

Use case for example:
During the planning session the team build next sprint.
They have a meeting with all members.
During the meeting one of them works with RTC plan and add new user stories from backlog.
The other can change a user story and create new child tasks.
Also it might that ranking is changed during the same session and maybe in parallel.

So, it happens that they work on plan and then they can not save since the plan does not contain all recent changes.

We can say - do not work in parallel...

Comments
Miguel Tomico commented Nov 10 '16, 9:14 a.m.

We have huge plans with a couple of thousand work items each, and we've had very few complaints related to parallel editing in years.

Said that, I can't advise on what specific parallel changes will or will not make RTC to cancel the saving operation. As far as I understood, RTC won't cancel it unless there is a real conflict, but

If you think it's showing this error when it should proceed, raise a PMR.

If you have a suggestion to improve the concurrent editing features of the tool, raise an ER.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.