It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Issue with updating existing artifacts using CSV import in DNG.

Mahesh JS (17111) | asked Aug 31 '16, 9:06 a.m.
 Artifacts -> Import Artifacts -> Import requirements from a CSV file or spreadsheet -> Import requirements into a module and select “Update artifacts that match entries, and create artifacts for new entries/ ignore new entry”.

When we do the above steps, Existing artifacts inside selected module are not getting updated by CSV instead new artifact with same ID is being created. Recreation of same artifact with same ID is not an acceptable behavior right? 

According to me this is an issue. Please test this.

I request you to resolve/guide on this.

Comments
Koak Lodge commented Sep 01 '16, 7:17 a.m.

For the "Choose import options" of the dialog, which of the following are you selecting?

Specify how entries in a CSV file are imported
- Create new artifacts for all entries
- Update artifacts that match entries, and create artifacts for new entries
- Update artifacts that match entries, and ignore new entries

And what is the desired result? Are you updating via CSV existing entries only or updating and creating new?

Mahesh JS commented Sep 02 '16, 12:31 p.m. | edited Sep 02 '16, 12:33 p.m.

Thanks MK for replying!!

I am doing this
- import requirements into this module
Update artifacts that match entries, and create artifacts for new entries

I am trying to update an existing artifact name (i.e. change its name) inside a module using CSV file by making use of ID

3 answers

permanent link
Bob 3 (1481564) | answered Apr 04 '17, 11:38 p.m.
edited Apr 05 '17, 12:37 a.m.

Let me introduce the elusive "id" column (not to be confused with the similarly-named but differently-purposed "Identifier" column), which can be used to round-trip and/or update existing artifacts in DNG by entering the correct artifact ID number in this column. When you export artifacts to a CSV file from DNG, an "id" column is included. You can use this column to correlate rows in CSV/Excel with existing artifacts in DNG upon import. If you select the option to update artifacts, the artifact is updated. This approach works for me in CLM 6.0.3. 

For more info on the "id" column, see 6.0.1 New & Noteworthy and here

For more info on the "Identifier" column, see here

permanent link
Stephen Woo (96110) | answered Nov 18 '17, 11:38 a.m.

Hi Bob 3, It was nice seeing you at the Summit. I'm amazed that I happen to see your name here. Great answer.  

I could be wrong. I do like to add that I have the original problem also. I believe that in addition to the "id" I may need the parentBinding and module fields to be in the CSV file to prevent new instances of the artifacts to be placed in the module.

parentBinding  module
300641 300640
300643 300640
Have a great day.

swoo "the only guy at the conference wearing Aloha shirt :-)"

permanent link
Stephen Woo (96110) | answered Nov 18 '17, 11:50 a.m.

I should add that I am using 6.0.3. Perhaps this has been fixed. As soon as 6.0.5 is out I will test to duplicate my sighting. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.