It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why Timestamp Field on RTC shows different data as per location? How to Resolve?

Pradnya Raste (351524) | asked Jun 16 '16, 10:28 a.m.

We have a custom configuration done for a project on RTC and an altogether new work item is introduced. 

now we experience different issue with Date fields in RTC. for example. date filled by me from India location is 20th June in certain timestamp field. and someone from US is checking the data. he sees date filled as 19th June. and date filled by him as 21st June at US, I see that as 23rd June at India.

I believe this is because of time zone difference however would like to know how do we handle this  and seek assistance in resolving issue.

I have done a detailed test. Server is located at San Hose - US with same time zone.
There was a specific record created for testing. The dates in record were asked to be filled by a resource who has her computer time zone as Manila Philippines. Later other team who have computer time zone as India and US were asked to check the record and share Screenshots. The same activity was done twice - once before 12noon EST and after 12 noon EST as the date in India and Philippines would change, whereas date in US remains same and time zone changes reflects on data. this issue is random. meaning if i have 10 timestamp fields, it is found on 1st 3 fields for certain people, some had on other 2 fields and some had for 5-6 as well. every one was experiencing it on different fields.
Additionally, I have checked Work Location details set on their RTC profile and their laptop/desktop time zone. Work location for all is "America/New York" whereas computer time zone is as per their locations.
Please help to find a solution.

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jun 17 '16, 1:50 a.m.
I believe the timestamp is shifted based on the timezone reported by the browser, and not related to the Work Location settings.

It also depends on whether the timestamp attribute includes the time portion. If not, 12:00am is assigned (a timestamp always has date and time).

If you want a constant date value across different regions, I suggest you use a String value instead.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.