It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Birt Report Preview pulling more data than running report

Kathryn Goldsmith (62) | asked Jun 03 '16, 1:00 p.m.
edited Jun 03 '16, 1:01 p.m.
I have created a fairly basic report that calculates Process Efficiency.   It has several basic datasets and a couple of joined ones.   I am limiting the filter to 2016 tasks and there are less than 500 of them (of 546 total tasks in the RTC instance).   From the list of tasks being pulled, the preview on the rptdesign is pulling more tasks than running the same as a report (client and web are pulling the same number).   Preview seems to be more correct than the report.   Anybody have any ideas what is going on?

Comments
Kathryn Goldsmith commented Jun 03 '16, 2:31 p.m.

Also, I am finding that when my x-axis is month/year, when doing the preview, it orders them properly (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc.) but when I load into a report, the order of the months is not the same (e.g., May 2016, Apr 2016, June 2016).  

Donald Nong commented Jun 06 '16, 3:10 a.m.

How did you actually set the filter? What is the data type of the "x-axis"? Your post lacks many details and I doubt anybody can guess what's going on.

Kathryn Goldsmith commented Jun 06 '16, 9:27 a.m.

Here is more information .. let me know if more is required. I will give you the detail for one of my reports but see something similar in the others:

- Has the following data sets:
   - Date closed -   uses table LIVE_WORKITEM_CNT - WI_ID, CREATION_DATE, CATEGORY_NAME, ITERATION_NAME, WI_TYPE,STATE_NAME, RESOLUTION_DATE; filter - STATE_NAME, RESOLUTION_DATE, ITERATION_NAME
   - Date in progress - uses table WORKITEM_CHNGS - DATE, WI_ID, ITERATION_NAME, WI_TYPE, STATE_NAME, SUMMARY, PREV_STATE_NAME; filter - ITERATION_NAME
   .. CONT

Kathryn Goldsmith commented Jun 06 '16, 9:28 a.m.

- Cycle time - inner join of Date Closed and Date in progress data set; no filter; computed columns - Cycle Time = BirtDateTime.diffDay(row["Date in progress::DATE"],row["Date Closed::RESOLUTION_DATE"]), Lead Time = BirtDateTime.diffDay(row["Date Closed::CREATION_DATE"],row["Date Closed::RESOLUTION_DATE"]), Cycle Time Hours = if (BirtDateTime.diffHour(row["Date Closed::CREATION_DATE"], row["Date Closed::RESOLUTION_DATE"]) == 0)
{ 0.5; } else { BirtDateTime.diffHour(row["Date Closed::CREATION_DATE"], row["Date Closed::RESOLUTION_DATE"]); }
   - Lead Time - uses table WORKITEMS - WI_ID, ITERATION_NAME, WI_TYPE, SUMMARY, CREATION_DATE, RESOLUTION_DATE, Lead time; filter - RESOLUTION_DATE, ITERATION_NAME;  computed column - Lead Time = BirtDateTime.diffDay(row["CREATION_DATE"],row["RESOLUTION_DATE"])
- Time Spent - uses table WORKITEMS - WI_ID, ITERATION_NAME, SUMMARY, TIME_SPENT, CREATION_DATE, RESOLUTION_DATE, TIME_SPENT_HRS; filter - RESOLUTION_DATE, ITERATION_NAME
... CONT

Kathryn Goldsmith commented Jun 06 '16, 9:28 a.m.

- Process Efficiency - inner join of Cycle Time and Time Spent; no filter; computed column - PE = row["Time Spent::TS_IN_HRS"]/row["Cycle time::Cycle Time Hrs"]

- Uses data from Process Efficiency
- The x-axis is month  (e.g., Apr 2016, May 2016, June 2016) - row["Cycle time::Date Closed::RESOLUTION_DATE"]
- The y-axis (series 1) is PE
- Optional Y Series grouping: Row["Cycle time::Date Closed::CATEGORY_NAME"]

Donald Nong commented Jun 06 '16, 8:33 p.m.

Well, I can't spot any obvious issues with the data sets except I don't know what the data det "Lead Time" is used for. Since there are not many data sets, I would suggest you put each of them in the report and check the output of them in both the preview and the actual report.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.