It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I Import RTC work items via csv with parent relationships that are referenced intrinsicly to the file

Homer Pope (15812225) | asked Apr 24 '16, 4:54 p.m.
Hello,
 I would to take an export of our RTC Safe 3 PA and import items into our empty test environment (identical process template) but I want to do tasks and Stories at the same time and have the parent relationships on the tasks come in automatically.  is there a way to reference a parent that is in the same csv file? I.e. story on row 79 is a parent of task on row 156?
Thanks, for any assistance.
Homer

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 25 '16, 4:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not sure why no help or documentation I can find mentions that the CSV import can recreate relationships between work items.

You can export relationships if you select them in the export step. If you import and provide the column, add a # in front of the work item number and a work item of that number exists, the import recreates the relationship as far as I know.

Comments
Homer Pope commented Apr 25 '16, 8:44 a.m.
Yes true, but I was looking to import multiple types at once.
I can do the highest level WI first (PI Objective, then work down to tasks) but wouild involve some work (dont mind it) of matching up parent relationships.  was looking to do exports out of prod, do the linking in the CSV, then import into test.  Guess they havent thought about this.  Thanks for your response.  Hopefully someone from the RTC team can chime in... 

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 25 '16, 9:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I played around with import here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/11/03/a-rtc-workitem-command-line-version-3-0/ but it might not be what you want. You could at least modify the code for your purposes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.