It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

JRS - Can you provide a link to documentation on how the "calculated value colums" work on a JRS report?

Isabel Torres (631038) | asked Apr 19 '16, 6:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 21 '16, 2:47 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
I am using RTC 6.0.1, and the Jazz Report Builder (JRS) within it.

I want to get a query of the Stories completed on March, and get the sum of the total story points calculated automatically.

I am able to set up the query very well, no problem, and I selected "complexity" as a calculated value. I am expecting to get the sum of All of the story points retrieved by my query.

But, it only got a new column with the story points for each story, not the total of all of them

Is that how it is designed to work?

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 21 '16, 2:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 21 '16, 3:34 a.m.
There is no additional documentation, except the online help which is pretty basic and the New&Noteworthy that I am aware of. On the other hand it is pretty self explanatory.

In the Format Results section, as mentioned on your previous question, Add a calculated value columns (this name will cause a huge amount of confusion in the forum, given the average immaturity of tagging and explaining the question background, it is just too close to calculated values in work item attributes).

In the calculation select "Complexity" as the attribute. So regardless what kind of complexity you use the report would work. Complexity is also the name of the complexity attribute configured in the process configuration source.

I tried this on the current RTC repository and it actually works with story points.

Isabel Torres selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 21 '16, 3:13 a.m. | edited Apr 21 '16, 3:14 a.m.

Note, I did that with my local sandbox as well and other than the PM you sent me, if I add the aggregation I get this message

and aggregation works for me.

In addition in your PM I see Story points (custom) as a column. This is suspicious and I would guess that you did not configure your process right. The complexity attribute that is used must be configured in the Process Configuration>Project Configuration>Configuration Data>Planning>Plan Attributes>Complexity Attribute.  This is actually the mapping that creates the relationship of the "Story Point" attribute to the planning complexity.

So this works for me.

Isabel Torres commented Apr 21 '16, 12:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you very much Ralph for your time and tremendous help!!! I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately there is a problem on my project area, maybe a data corruption, I will open a ticket against my support team.

Thank you for showing me how you did it with such detail.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 20 '16, 10:03 a.m.
What is wrong with the answer to the question from you around a similar topic here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/216155/rtc-is-there-an-out-of-the-box-report-for-calculating-the-sum-of-the-values-from-an-integer-attribute . I have not tried story points as they are actually an enumeration.

Comments
Isabel Torres commented Apr 20 '16, 10:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

hi Ralph, I hadn't seen your answer on my previous question. Thank you..

Do you mean that I am not able to get calculated values for any type of attribute? What would be attributes available for this feature?

Thanks!

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 20 '16, 10:58 a.m. | edited Apr 20 '16, 10:59 a.m.

In general you should be able to aggregate over values as described in the help and my answer. I haven't tried with Story points, so I can't tell if that works or not. I assume you can get it to work somehow as there are reports that do it, I think.

And I would consider not to call this calculated attributes. Calculated attributes are calculated in the RTC UI using JavaScript or Java. What you do in JRS is to aggregate over values of attributes.

Isabel Torres commented Apr 20 '16, 12:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You are right, I should say "aggregate over values" .

Do you have an example of a report that you have done that you can show me a screenshot?

Thank you

Don Yang commented Apr 20 '16, 10:09 p.m.

You may want to check with the details in [Changes to the calculations dialog flow]
in
https://jazz.net/downloads//jazz-reporting-service/releases/6.0.1?p=news#12

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.