It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to open workitem in browser

Anurag Patel (21262) | asked Apr 15 '16, 8:25 a.m.
Hi,

I have created a plugin which creates work item programatically and want to open that newly created work item into the browser. When new workitem will be create then the workitem should be open in browser.
Can any one have idea about how to open work item in browser?

Thanks

Comments
Donald Nong commented Apr 18 '16, 3:26 a.m.

That's quite curious request. Is the plugin a server plugin or client plugin? If a server plugin, where would the browser appear? Can you explain the work flow that you have in mind?

Anurag Patel commented Apr 20 '16, 1:15 a.m.

This is the server follow up action. 

Flow is that, when we add any of the approval, if user change the state of the approval then new work item will be created using follw up action. 
Requirement is : When new workitem will be create then directly that work item should be open in browser or in new tab.
How we can implement this feature.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 20 '16, 2:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Although one can state pretty much any requirement in words, if these can be implemented is a totally different matter. Don has already hinted the sore points in your requirements. Here a summary:
  • The Server follow up action works in the server It could open a browser window. This browser window would appear on the server window, which likely will not be shown anywhere
  • To open a browser on the machine where the user clicks the button, the server
    • would have to know the machine
    • Would have means to communicate to the machine to open a new browser window
I don't think you have access to the information needed in the follow up action. So you can create the item, but I don't think you have the means to open the item in a browser on the client machine.

Comments
Anurag Patel commented Apr 20 '16, 3:42 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for reply.
The requirement is that, the browser is already open on system.
In CCM when user will change the approval state of the workitem at that time workitem will create grammatically. I just wanted to open those newly created work item in "work item editor presentation". I have an Id of that work item. 
Is it possible to open those workitem in editor presentation using work item Id.

Anurag Patel commented Apr 20 '16, 4:02 a.m.

This link is for client side : https://jazz.net/forum/questions/91049/how-do-you-open-workitem-if-you-have-the-id 

I am looking for server side solution.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 20 '16, 4:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The browser is the client. I don't know if the server operational behavior does know about the browser connection and could do something in the JavaScript of the client.

My assumption would be that this is not the case. Creating a Linked Defect from a Work Item Editor Toolbar Action -Work Item Web UI customization might be a valid option, otherwise I can't answer this question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.