It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you migrate a deprecated (small string) field to an EnumerationList type field ?

Steve Woodbridge (1352225) | asked Apr 02 '16, 6:09 p.m.

Customer has a handful of fields that are deprecated - they are type "small string" and were used as a means of storing information for multi-select enumerations. We want to copy the data that resides in those fields to some new fields that will be of type Enumeration List.

The new fields have been defined and are of type Enumeration List.

When trying to import the values from the "old" (i.e. deprecated) fields to the new fields, we get the following results :

Result 1 - If there is only one value that had been selected when using the old field, the value shows as being selected in the new field. So that is good.

Result 2 - BUT when trying to import when multiple values have been selected when using the old field, NONE of the values import.

I found some old instructions that involved creating and editing a mapping file for use in the import process. The instructions are specifically for importing into a field of type Enumeration List. But I cannot get that to work.

Has anybody successfully perform such a migration ? Here is the documentation I have tried to use.

https://jazz.net/library/article/1458

We are at RTC v6.01

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 03 '16, 7:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Steve, I tried this approach: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/a-rtc-workitem-command-line-version-2-1/ because it gives me more flexibility. I think the old instructions should work, however, the format in the cell might be different from what you need in the import. I found CSV im and export confusing due to the "comma" as separator and then the newline as separator within a cell for multi value attributes (user lists enumeration lists etc.).

Comments
Steve Woodbridge commented Apr 03 '16, 6:31 p.m.

Hi Ralph. I saw the link and I am very interested in trying it out at some point. But for now, I would like to utilize what is part of the eclipse client - I expect to need this only one time (i.e. - converting from string to EnumerationList). Is the any chance of having the old instructions updated to show the files that are used when the actual import is to be done ? Of send directly to me ? This way I will know exaclty what the Mapping file should look like AND what the CSV file (with the actual date) should look like. 

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 04 '16, 2:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no special entry in the mapping file I am aware of. It should look like any mapping file. In the end you map the literal ID's against the new literal ID's. I don't think the article needs an update either. As mentioned in my answer above, the whole trick here is that in 3.x the enumeration list was stored in a string with the enumeration literal id's separated by ',' and a new enumeration list attribute needs the literal id's seperated by '\n' in the  CSV. So the https://jazz.net/library/article/1458 should work.

What I typically do in these situations is to set up a test system with a few data and then try it out until it works.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.