It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Required Properties for Saving Work Items

Dolores Vogel (1031337) | asked Mar 29 '16, 12:27 p.m.
edited Mar 29 '16, 12:30 p.m.
We're seeing odd behavior with required properties. Can you tell me if there are defects that are being addressed.

We're currently using 5.0.2. We have the Required Estimates Precondition set and are requiring Estimate and Time Spent to save a task.  In the Web UI, we can set Time Remaining to update Time Spent and save the task. In Eclipse, if we update Time Remaining, we still cannot save. We have to use a query or a plan to access Time Spent and update it before we can save the task.

We then set the Required Properties precondition and made Estimate, Filed Against, Owned By, Planned For, and Time Spent required. We have a team hierarchy set up but no customization made at the team level for any of the teams. If we select certain values in the Filed Against field, the other fields are no longer required (asterisks go away and we can save without populating the required fields.) This behavior is random and changes depending on the value we select in the Filed Against field.

We are currently testing 6.0.1, and in the Web UI and in Eclipse neither of these preconditions (Required Properties and Required Estimates) are enforced no matter how we populate the fields.

Are these defects or am I missing some configuration that could cause this behavior?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 29 '16, 8:07 p.m.

It works for me. How do you configure the behavior? Did you configure it for the "Everyone" role? Also, the "Requirement Estimates" precondition appears to be deprecated already, how can you still be using it?
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/283709

Dolores Vogel commented Mar 30 '16, 9:15 a.m.

When I looked at the configuration, it was configured for Everyone Always. However, I had the check box selected to ignore in child areas. That explains one issue.

Required Estimates was defined in an earlier version of RTC, so it never went away. When I remove it, I can't add it back, which is fine since it's duplicated in other preconditions.

I still have the issue that I can update Time Spent by updating Time Remaining in the Web UI, but I cannot update it the same way in Eclipse. A lot of the developers only use Eclipse, and they have to use a query or a plan (which goes away the next time we upgrade our environment) to display and update the Time Spent field. Is there a way to add that field to the work item?

I also still have the issue that the Requirement Properties precondition is not being enforced in 6.0.1. I can save tasks in Eclipse and in the Web UI without completing required fields. 

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.