It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Code review in RTC against codes in CC

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Mar 17 '16, 8:46 p.m.
edited Mar 17 '16, 8:51 p.m.
The users want to do code review in RTC while codes are in ClearCase. They don't want to use CC Synchronizer or importer instead using bridge to associate workitem with changeset(activity in CC). Since there is no delivery in this scenario in RTC, it seems there is limited precondition for review/approve can be used.

According to the new features in v6.0.1: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ScmCodeReviewUserGuide,
one condition to use the new feature is to set 'target stream'. this obviously is for delivery purpose.

Questions:
1) does that mean this new feature can not be used for the above scenario because of no delivery involved?

2) is there any way to prevent defect owner from being added as reviewer/approver in RTC?

3) I notice there are two preconditions: Prevent Links by Approvers and Require Disinterested Approvers
which are related to changeset author and approvers. Given that changeset is in CC side,
will the below two preconditions apply to the changeset(CC activity)-workitem in above scenario?

Prevent Links by Approvers

Ensure that change set authors do not approve their own work items.

This precondition prevents a change set from being linked to a work item with an approver that is also the change set author. The "Require Disinterested Approvers" precondition on work item save prevents an approver from being added to a work item already linked to change sets with the same author. These two preconditions should be used in conjunction with each other.

4) or any advice on how to review the codes in CC from RTC

Any comment is highly appreciated.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 18 '16, 1:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am pretty sure what your users want is not possible. The review works only on RTC SCM Streams and change sets as far as I know.

I have not played with the ClearCase bridge, but I assume that the operational behavior you mention above is designed for RTC SCM and not ClearCase.

Comments
Don Yang commented Mar 20 '16, 11:31 p.m.

Thanks Ralph for the comments.
So you mean that the new code review feature in v6.0.1 won't work for RTC-CC integration if the code is within CC and associated with RTC workitem?

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 21 '16, 2:50 a.m.

I am pretty sure of this, yes.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 18 '16, 11:45 p.m.
edited Mar 21 '16, 6:50 p.m.
I agree with Ralph.  The RTC review feature only works for RTC change sets.  Note that the stream is only needed to provide pathnames for the files in the change set, not for any delivery-related reasons.   WRT those preconditions, the "users" in the ClearCase repository have no guaranteed relationship to the "users" in the RTC repository, so the preconditions based upon comparing the owner of a change set and RTC approver could not be applied to a ClearCase change set.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.