It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

multiple iterations/releases --> sub-iterations created under "Main Development" timeline in a project area

Prerna Aggarwal (816) | asked Mar 09 '16, 5:48 a.m.
Hi,
My question is regarding  multiple iterations/releases --> sub-iterations created under "Main Development" Timeline under a project area.

The timelines tab on project area explorer allows me to set only one timeline and iteration as "select timeline as project timeline" and "selected iteration as project iteration" respectively . How does it impact if I have multiple project releases under a timeline?
I saw that project dashboard shows plans from the current selected timeline and current selected iteration only. Is there any other area where it will cause issues in other team's work on another project release?

Would it have any impact on other teams work if I select any one of the project release as project iteration ?

Thanks
Prerna

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 09 '16, 7:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please see this help topic: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_dev_line.html

Please note, that in RTC a project area or team area can only work against exactly one timeline. Also note that a timeline is a partition of the time (the iterations on the same level can not overlap). See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals#Timelines for more information around these basic topics.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 09 '16, 6:38 p.m.

Note that RTC does not enforce that iterations on the same level cannot overlap, but since you can only have one iteration at a given level as current, it usually makes no sense to have iterations at a given level overlap.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 10 '16, 2:47 a.m. | edited Mar 10 '16, 2:47 a.m.

I have seen customers doing this and I have experimented with it. You can enter such data and the load/progress calculations will be totally bogus and count the overlapping time as available multiple times.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 09 '16, 6:35 p.m.
Where do you see a "selected iteration as project iteration" operation?   Are you perhaps referring to the "set the selected iteration as current" operation?   If so, that is just the way to specify which iteration in that timeline is the one that is currently being worked on.

You can only select one iteration in a given timeline as the "current" iteration of that timeline (although this logically declares that all the parent iterations of the current iteration are also current).  If you want to have multiple current iterations, you would need to define multiple timelines.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.