It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Links display in Module view but not artifact view

Steve Comfort (1539) | asked Feb 03 '16, 3:30 a.m.
 I am able to view Implemented By and Validated By links in Doors NG only when viewing a module. If I try and view the same links on an artifact, they are not displayed?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 03 '16, 4:54 a.m. | edited Feb 03 '16, 5:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

My best guess is from https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_links.html

If you create a link from content in the artifact and do not designate a traceability type, the link is included in the content only. There is no matching trace link in the artifact sidebar or on the Artifacts page or dashboard.
Content links provide simple hyperlinks within an artifact without adding nonessential link information in the sidebar and project pages. You can create a content link from a text string in a textual artifact to an artifact in the repository or to a URL. You can create multiple content links from a graphical element in a diagram, sketch, part, or storyboard to other artifacts or to URLs.

Steve Comfort commented Feb 03 '16, 4:59 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Nope, we are creating traceability links. What I have found is that if (for instance) an Implements link is created from a user story to a requirement (using Add Related under Links tab), then the link does not show in the artifact view. However, if the link is created from the artifact to the user story (using Implemented By), then the link displays correctly on both the artifact and the user story. So, am puzzled.

Cheers
Steve

One answer

permanent link
Keith Collyer (456511) | answered Feb 03 '16, 5:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Steve, this is working correctly, hopefully this explanation will help understand why.
Links created from an artifact within a module are created in the context of the module. This is to allow the same artifact to be used in different modules representing different contexts. For example, a requirement could be used in several different products and might therefore be implemented in different ways in the the different products. It would be confusing for all links to appear in all contexts. Artifacts in folders are considered to be the base on which the artifacts in modules are based, so any aspect of the artifact, including links, should appear everywhere the artifact is present.

Comments
Steve Comfort commented Feb 03 '16, 5:55 a.m.

Hi Keith,

I get that, and links created from artifacts do display in Doors NG. The issue is that if the link is created from a User Story in RTC to an artifact in Doors NG, the link is not shown when viewing the artifact in DNG.

Regards
Steve

Keith Collyer commented Feb 03 '16, 6:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Steve, can I ask you to clarify, are you saying that the link is not shown at all on the artifact, whether this is in the context of a module or not? That doesn't seem to be what you asked at first.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.