It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Report over time - Total Estimate and relative scale

Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | asked Aug 05 '09, 3:49 p.m.
Apparently starting in 1.0.1.1 burndown charts automatically added a value "Total Estimate". This can be interesting and useful when used for a small number of iterations, but if you have a cumulative burndown chart, over time the Total Estimate grows to a point that it forces the scale to such a relative level that the iteration burndowns are basically flat.

Is there another report that can be used to show iteration burndowns over time without the Total Estimate - or some other way to get the same info?

Thanks.

6 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 05 '09, 5:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can you please attach a sample chart. I do not see how the number of iterations can produce the effect you are describing. Usually at the beginning of the Burndown, the Planned and Remaining Work should be very close. Then as the planned work grows so does the remaining work unless you are completing work faster that you are planning it; which I do not believe is true :)

BTW, if you hover over the blue dots on the Remaining Work series, you should see the actual values.

permanent link
Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | answered Aug 05 '09, 5:47 p.m.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/tubamanz/growing_total_estimate.jpg

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 05 '09, 11:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Nice to see a real burndown chart. Our RTC burndown charts do not show the impact of Iterations as nicely as yours, since our backlog never reaches zero.

In 2.0.0.1, we will be introducing a Burnup report which I guess would not show the problem above since it will display the accumulation of work done.
The Burnup chart will also show things like Total Team Capacity and Team Capacity Burnup. Team Capacity the number of man hours, a team can provide daily.

For the burnup chart, we will try to let the user turn on and off some of that extra data by using report parameters.

We will try to do something similar for the Burndown reports. This work work will be for 2.0.0.1.

For 1.0.0.1, you could easily edit the BIRT Report design and delete the grey series.

permanent link
Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | answered Aug 06 '09, 8:55 a.m.
Can you point me to info/ref on editing the BIRT report design?

Thanks.

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Aug 06 '09, 9:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 8/6/2009 9:08 AM, klzemanek wrote:
Can you point me to info/ref on editing the BIRT report design?

Thanks.

Some setup instructions are on our wiki here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsCreatingANewReport20

You'll need the correct version of BIRT and its dependencies.

In this case, you'll want to open the report design file, edit the
chart, and delete the series that you don't want to see. Save the
report, and re-deploy the report template to your RTC server.

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 11 '09, 9:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Burndown report in 2.0.0.1 will have an extra parameter to control which series get displayed. For an early look check the lalest template deployed in jazz.net:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.reports.viewQuery&queryUUID=__rHa8GsuEd6cw4CjcBsafw&name=Burndown%20%28Live%29

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.