It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to update existing project are in RTC 5.0.2

Sajjad Ali Khan (314152) | asked Dec 09 '15, 1:24 a.m.
 Dear All,

I have install CLM 5.0.2 and i have a team of 10 persons who are using RTC for creating managing change requests also i have customize work item of Change Request(not the default one which is shipped with CLM) in RTC project area.

now i have done some changes in change request work item in our test environment(Test machine) and i want to deploy same changes in our production machine.

Question is how can i apply changes in existing project area in production machine. is there any feature in CLM by that i can apply changes in existing project area ?

Looking forward to the solution.   

2 answers

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Dec 09 '15, 2:41 a.m.
Sajjad,

the first thing I come to think of is to copy the process XML source from your test environment to your production environment. This is straightforward, if the two only differ in the changes that you made to the CR item type. Otherwise, you need to diff and merge the changes from your test env process source into you prod env process source.

After having updated the process in your prod environment, you may want to synch all existing CR items to the new changes.

Cheers
Timo

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Dec 09 '15, 2:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Working directly with configuration source is risky and generally is not recommended.  Accidentally you could induce an incomplete change and corrupt the project area in the repository.

Process Sharing is a better approach.  Set the Project Areas to form a Master (Providing) and Child (Inheriting, contains users).  The actual project area where users are members of is a child project area.  The Parent is providing the process. 

When there is a need to refine the process, create a new master and switch to inheriting from the new master.

As we are talking about a Production instance, I would recommend taking a complete application and database backup before attempting the approaches.  Once you are convinced that the changes are flowing in consistently, you could incorporate that as a process.  Each time you bring in a refined process, ensure you take a backup.

hope this helps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.