It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I improve the performance of my dashboard?

katherine szczech (112) | asked Dec 04 '15, 1:29 p.m.
edited Dec 05 '15, 1:48 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
There have been instances where users will run into out-of-memory or CPU spikes on the CLM servers and in some instances the root cause is due to the dashboards containing data intensive reporting widgets.

One answer

permanent link
katherine szczech (112) | answered Dec 04 '15, 2:29 p.m.
Here are some steps to improving your dashboard performance and experience.

1.  Keep the first tab (I call it the landing tab) lean. 
The first table should avoid "report (data) intensive" widgets.  The first tab should be setup to include more informational type of widgets e.g. general HTML widgets, or bookmark widgets to describe or introduce the purpose of the dashboard. Keeping the first tab lean by avoiding reporting type widgets will avoid consuming the server's resources when users navigate to the dashboard.

2.  Using queries in lieu of reports will help minimize the amount of strain placed on the server.

3.  Use filters on reports to reduce the amount of data the reporting widget returns.

4.  Use reporting parameters to reduce the amount of data returned on intensive reports.

5.  Plan out what data (reports/queries) users really need to capture the state of the project.  Over-burdening your dashboards with unnecessary reports will impact the performance of the dashboard and server.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.